Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know that as long as you have the same card, you should be ok. when I got my second 260. I was told that since I already had a 65nm card, to get another 65nm card. and that the new 55nm GPU's would not work.

Anyways. So I had a eVGA GTX 260 192SP Vanilla. and I went ahead and upgraded to some SLI action. and when I did I got the vanilla, original GTX 260 65nm 192SP from MSI, as it was dirt cheap when I got it, it was a steal.

So, I've never thought anything of it. and I can OC them in eVGA Precision, or so I thought. but the other day I had GPU-Z open. and I realized that the MSI card, it's overclocked. it has like 620 Mhz Core clock, and even higher Oc'd shaders, and all. but the box and the one I thought I bought was the stock one. so I just got one with a different BIOS I guess. So my question to everyone is, is that ok to run?? and will it affect my performance. I know SLI works with the slowest one, so is the SLI technology automatically slowing the faster card down to the slower card's speed?

Let me know if this will all work out of. so far it's seemed fine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm pretty sure that SLI will raise or lower the clock of the second card to match the card in slot one. So if you put the overclocked card in slot 1 the 2nd card should default to the same setting's, as long as it's stable at those clock's you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the top slot. closest to NB. (that is slot one right) has the original eVGA stock speed card, and the second slot on bottom has the MSI that is overclocked..

But SLI is enabled, and in eVGA precision it detects stock clocks..

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
The card in the top slot is the "master" card while the card in the second slot is the "slave" card. The cards will always default to the "master" card clocks when SLI is enabled.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
They will run at the speed of the slower GPU. Doesn't matter which is where If they are different speeds than they will run at the speed of whichever card is slow.

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are you sure Zoki..?? if I add the MSI to the top slot, wont SLI overclock the bottom card to match the speed???

I think your actually right, and they will default to the slower card no matter the order, but I'm not sure so thats why I'm asking.

·
Bod ***s rock
22,857 Posts
the cards will always run at the slower speed for compatibility as the lower clocked card maybe unstable at the higher speed (it most likely will be perfectly stable but there is always the chance that it wont be)

·
Registered
87 Posts
My evga 8800GT KO must have special power's then because in SLI it made my stock 8800GT run at the same speed's. Maybe some card's are overclocked different & SLI was seeing my KO card as being manually overclocked and raised the 2nd card to match.

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
really. Ya I don't know. I do know that both cards can do 700 Mhz.. so 620 that the MSI does is no problem for my eVGA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.