Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Mainframe Customs Teleios Sleeving, Combs and supplies to resleeve my Stock Corsair cables. I've finished the 8-pin EPS, and 2x 8-pin PCIe cables. The 24-pin is turning out to be a real piece of work. The only pinout that I could find was one that @SimonOcean posted from a build he did in 2015. The problem is that his pin diagram does not match the pinout of my original corsair cables.

Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Font Line

I'm not sure why they are different. He seems pretty detail oriented, so my guess is that corsair has two different revisions of the cables in the wild.

Problem: There are four double-wire pins on the 24-pin ATX. Each double-wire has a 16AWG wire and a 22AWG wire. The 22AWG wire goes to the "Check pin" for that voltage. The problem is that I didn't realize that that there were two different gauges used in the cable until after I had already pulled the

I was able to download this pinout from Mainframe Customs and it matches what I have, but it doesn't show which pins go to which.

Colorfulness Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

So the question is, do I just need to rewire the doubles so that all of them are using the 16AWG or is it possible to tell on the PSU side which pins are the check pins?

·
Water Cooling Enthusiast
156 Posts
It seems to me, if they're both coming from the same starting pin then electrically it wouldn't matter which went where...am I missing something?

edit: Hmmm maybe I am misunderstanding the question.....I would use a continuity tester to trace your wires, then following the above information go pin by pin and verify....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to me, if they're both coming from the same starting pin then electrically it wouldn't matter which went where...am I missing something?

edit: Hmmm maybe I am misunderstanding the question.....I would use a continuity tester to trace your wires, then following the above information go pin by pin and verify....
Thanks for the reply. According to @SimonOcean's diagram, the double wires have two different gauges. For example from 24-pin #21 you have a 16 AWG wire going to 18-pin #8 and a 22AWG wire going to 10-pin #7. He has labeled the later as a +5VDC check pin on the PSU side. If his diagram was exactly what I had then we wouldn't have an issue. The problem is that it isn't. When I used the continuity tester on my multimeter my 24-pin #21 goes to 10-pin #8 and 18-pin #8. Both his set and my set are outputting +5VDC. That isn't the question though. The question is which one is the +5VDC check. I think it does matter because if you flip them the wrong way then you have a higher load going on narrower cable and there is risk of melting wires. My understanding of the CHK pins is to make sure that the voltage is exactly what it thinks it's supposed to be. A multimeter is going to show me +5VDC on both of them, so I'm not sure how to figure out which one is the CHK and which is pushing the load.

If there isn't a way for me to find this out, then I suppose the solution would be to rewire the doubles so that all wires (except PSU on which isn't a double) are using 16AWG.

·
Water Cooling Enthusiast
156 Posts
Well I would think the wire gauge would be evident by visual inspection? But yes, I also would want to make sure the smaller wire is only being used for the sensing (or chk) and not the load.....I suppose the sleeving is preventing you from verifying the wire size? Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I would think the wire gauge would be evident by visual inspection? But yes, I also would want to make sure the smaller wire is only being used for the sensing (or chk) and not the load.....I suppose the sleeving is preventing you from verifying the wire size? Good luck!
Sorry for not being more clear here:
  • I know which wires are the 22AWG and which are the 16AWG. I was able to confirm that with digital calipers after I realized I had a problem.
  • What I don't know is on the 18-pin and 10-pin side where the 22AWG are supposed to go because I pulled the wires to sleeve them before I realized there were two different gauges AND @SimonOcean's pin diagram is different from what I tested with the continuity tester.
I think I'm just going to need to rewire the doubles with both being 16AWG since I doubt Corsair will give me a pin diagram and there is enough doubt that it isn't work the risk of swapping them and frying things.

·
Water Cooling Enthusiast
156 Posts
Better safe than sorry, oversized wire better than undersized......😁

I finally understand now what you were trying to figure out....LOL....I read carefully but I kept thinking the above pinout was accurate for your application....sorry for wasting the thread..I think you are doing the best thing by just going ahead and doubling down on the larger gauge wire....the only other way would be to have an existing cable to check it against

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I ended up doing just that and rewiring the doubles so that both were 16AWG. I assume there is nothing wrong with me swapping around some of the pins as long as they are like for like? I'm not changing the doubles, since one of each of those acts as a check and I don't want to stick a check on a single pin that is drawing a load. The problem is that the PSU side is an absolute rat's nest, so changing pins on the psu side (like for like) will alleviate that some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts