Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I have a situation where I can add a GPU block to my CPU loop, but it would require going from a 1/2" tubing to a 1/4" tubing

right now, its all 1/2" ID, and with my idea, it would require a 1/4" out from the CPU, to the GPU, then back to the res.

Is this a good idea or no?

Only thing I can think of is that the flow rate would be faster in the 1/4" tubing than the 1/2"

Overall, I think it would help, but any info details is helpful.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
basically i'm taking a corsair h100 that I already have mounted on my GPU, and now I wanna just add it to my CPU loop for better cooling, right now the GPU maxes at 70° and I know after doing this and a few other mods, I can cut it down a good bit.

the h100 barbs are 1/4" ID tubes, so thats why I would have to use 1/4" tube from the CPU block to the GPU block, then to the Rez.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no no, i'm adding the h100 block and pump in addition to a full loop ( pump, rez, rad )

the h100 block itself, is mounted on the GPU. My idea would cut out having 2 rads, and allow the h100/GPU to take advantage of the larger rad, cooling, and flow.

and currently, my h100 is completely inside the case, and doing my idea, would allow the heat from it to vent out of the case completely, instead of keeping it in the case as it is now.
(and i will have enough fans to do a push/pull on my rad)

check here to show what i have now
http://www.overclock.net/t/1140299/gtx-480-sli-antec-620s-mod/240#post_16060891

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
I'd recommend against going from 1/2 to 1/4 in a loop. You will get some bad noises from the tube size differences. Just ask any plumber and he'll smack ya in the head for asking that.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Do it right, do it once. Everytime we cut corners we end up paying more later on to correct them. Why not buy full-cover GPU blocks?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts