Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Planning on building my first loop and I have a question about placement of my rad and how it will affect draining my loop when the time comes. I have an NZXT H440 case, and I have modded it to allow for a 360mm rad to be placed in the front of the case. I'm planning on picking up an XSPC RayStorm Pro X4 Photon AX360 WaterCooling Kit, which comes with a photon tube res that I plan on mounting onto the radiator. Right now I am planning on mounting the rad with the ports towards the top of my case, and on the outlet of my res im going to place a T connector with a ball valve connected to the bottom to allow me to drain my loop, and yes that will be the lowest point in my loop. So my question is, will I have trouble getting the water to drain out of my radiator if the ports are at the top most point of my loop? Would it be better if I mount the rad with the ports towards the bottom of my case? Thanks in advance.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,227 Posts
It will obviously be easier to drain with the ports at the bottom. With the ports at the top you will have to set the case on it's back/upside down/etc. to get the rad fully drained. It's not impossible, just a PITA.

·
Banned
720 Posts
IMHO, draining your loop is always a pain in the backside. Build your loop so that the tubing runs are as short as possible and look neat. When it comes to draining you will need to tilt you case around no matter how you build it. I have started using a shop vac to make sure my loop is drained.

·
Force User
530 Posts
IMHO, draining your loop is always a pain in the backside. Build your loop so that the tubing runs are as short as possible and look neat. When it comes to draining you will need to tilt you case around no matter how you build it. I have started using a shop vac to make sure my loop is drained.

^^This!
In order to truly make it easy to drain, you are going to need multiple drainports or air vents to allow the fluid to flow.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have always found that the orientation of the rad makes very little difference. One side will always hold some water and all the other components of the loop are natural water traps too. You will pretty much always have to do a lot of tipping the case around to move water out or just blow into the loop to force it out.

I don't even bother with a permanent drain. I just detach sections when needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts