Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i've played the last two simcity betas, and I can't help but notice how terrible the game looks, as in, eveything looks blurry,

i've jacked the settings up on everything, un-capped the 30fps limit, and my highly overclocked i7/580 system runs in the mid 40's fps.

Are betas usually graphically locked down or something?

if this is how the game will be, i'm going to be highly disapointed as I was really looking forward to the new game.
 

·
Software Developer
Joined
·
7,238 Posts
I did not play beta and I am not sure what it looks like, but yes most games lock the beta options down.

Don't lose hope, however, don't be overly optimistic. There is a lot of negative information going round. I am waiting till post release / patching / reviewing to see if I will get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixr View Post

so i've played the last two simcity betas, and I can't help but notice how terrible the game looks, as in, eveything looks blurry,

i've jacked the settings up on everything, un-capped the 30fps limit, and my highly overclocked i7/580 system runs in the mid 40's fps.

Are betas usually graphically locked down or something?

if this is how the game will be, i'm going to be highly disapointed as I was really looking forward to the new game.
http://store.origin.com/store/ea/html/pbPage.SimcityNA

Official images from origin sim city 5 store pages are blurry as well /shrug.
 

·
Breaker of Video Cards
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
Out of curosity what is so negative? Im genuinely curious because my only issue is the cities seem a little too small but force you to specialize which doesn't bother me as much.
 

·
Software Developer
Joined
·
7,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby654 View Post

Out of curosity what is so negative? Im genuinely curious because my only issue is the cities seem a little too small but force you to specialize which doesn't bother me as much.
I won't derail the thread (much anyways) but basically the graphics have been disappointing so far (which it is beta), the always online, the price for this game, and the single thread (only runs on one CPU thread) makes me extremely hesitant to buy this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
Personally, I kind of like the tilt-shift. Gives it a bit of a stylized cinematography feel. It's good that they provide a means of adjusting it, though.

I didn't realize the game was single threaded. That's kind of shocking, actually, considering the number of individual actors on screen at any given time and the amount of AI processing being done.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixr View Post

so i've played the last two simcity betas, and I can't help but notice how terrible the game looks, as in, eveything looks blurry,

i've jacked the settings up on everything, un-capped the 30fps limit, and my highly overclocked i7/580 system runs in the mid 40's fps.

Are betas usually graphically locked down or something?

if this is how the game will be, i'm going to be highly disapointed as I was really looking forward to the new game.
It's the aesthetic of pretty much every recent Sims game, and they're going to keep it light on the graphics, because this game is going straight to tablets and mobile as soon as they can manage it. I'm actually surprised it isn't releasing on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixr View Post

so i've played the last two simcity betas, and I can't help but notice how terrible the game looks, as in, eveything looks blurry,

i've jacked the settings up on everything, un-capped the 30fps limit, and my highly overclocked i7/580 system runs in the mid 40's fps.

Are betas usually graphically locked down or something?

if this is how the game will be, i'm going to be highly disapointed as I was really looking forward to the new game.
It's the aesthetic of pretty much every recent Sims game, and they're going to keep it light on the graphics, because this game is going straight to tablets and mobile as soon as they can manage it. I'm actually surprised it isn't releasing on them.
That's just great. First we had to deal with console ports, now we have to endure games targeting tablets. Then, when the game flops, the conclusion they draw will be "PC gaming is dying" rather than "trying to design one game for both PC and tablet was just a stupid idea". Angry Birds? Sure. Sim City 5?? What are they smoking?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimojo View Post

That's just great. First we had to deal with console ports, now we have to endure games targeting tablets. Then, when the game flops, the conclusion they draw will be "PC gaming is dying" rather than "trying to design one game for both PC and tablet was just a stupid idea". Angry Birds? Sure. Sim City 5?? What are they smoking?
Microtransactions. And apparently its better than Meth.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top