Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this SSD and a 1 TB storage drive that has decent write speeds and 32 MB cache (in fact, it's the same model HDD that I'm using currently but with 4x as much memory).

I also just bought Windows 7 Pro x64. Now I understand that from my BIOS, I just set the boot order to boot from the new SSD and then fresh install Windows 7. But what I am confused about is my current drive ("C:") and how this will work out. If I do not uninstall Vista x64 from this drive, I can technically keep the OS on this drive and still use it to store files / access files, correct?

I plan on keeping the files I have on this drive, reinstalling my major games/programs that I use frequently & my drivers on the SSD, then installing any large games, programs, music etc on my new 1TB drive.

Other noob questions. Will the directory of this drive still be considered "C:" or will my new SSD be this name?

As for my 1TB HDD, I plan on moving all my music onto this drive. I may also install Linux on this drive, though I think I would rather virtualize a copy of Ubuntu on the SSD. I'm open to any and all suggestions though, thanks.

As you can probably tell, I've never run more than one HDD at a time (never got into RAID arrays, but I don't think I need one now.)

Another note, I am planning to upgrade to an x58 motherboard soon, which means I would be using different drivers / require a fresh install on the SSD. This upgrade will probably be in about 3 weeks, do you think I should just wait?

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Whatever disk you boot into, will be considered your C: drive.

Yes you'll be fine leaving Vista on the other disk, but each time at boot you'll be presented with an option to boot into either Vista or 7.

You will have to reinstall your programs/games onto the new OS install, on the SSD.

If you don't plan on dual-booting, once you've got your SSD up and running, I'd backup all the files you want to save on the Vista drive and then just wipe it clean. Then you can use it as storage and won't have to deal with the dual boot screen every time you boot up.

When you move over to the new motherboard, you may just be able to plug the drive in and go (with the necessary drivers installing once you load into Windows); I wouldn't count on it, but it's possible. Either way, I'd do a clean reinstall again (because it's not like a huge timesink with an SSD anyway), but of course that's up to your personal preference.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0man View Post
Whatever disk you boot into, will be considered your C: drive.

Yes you'll be fine leaving Vista on the other disk, but each time at boot you'll be presented with an option to boot into either Vista or 7.

You will have to reinstall your programs/games onto the new OS install, on the SSD.

If you don't plan on dual-booting, once you've got your SSD up and running, I'd backup all the files you want to save on the Vista drive and then just wipe it clean. Then you can use it as storage and won't have to deal with the dual boot screen every time you boot up.

When you move over to the new motherboard, you may just be able to plug the drive in and go (with the necessary drivers installing once you load into Windows); I wouldn't count on it, but it's possible. Either way, I'd do a clean reinstall again (because it's not like a huge timesink with an SSD anyway), but of course that's up to your personal preference.
Right. Though I completely agree with the time argument with the SSD, I think i'll wait out the three weeks then backup and do a fresh install and avoid dual booting. Then I can install all the proper drivers at the same time and not waste time installing.

And thanks for clearing the driving indexing issue. I've never really understood the difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts