Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Every hour? no.

Avoid moving the computer or the parts along carpet. Discharge youself by touching the computer case. The electrical charge in your body would only again build up if you moved around (i.e. your feet rubbed on the carpet). If you live in a dry place you have a increased change for static charge so take extra precautions. Overall it is not a major deal, just ground yourself ever time you move.

·
Registered
335 Posts
just touch the case, like previous post recomended, before you stick your hand in, if you pull your hand out, ground yourself again before you go back inside. Also, keep the hand your not using, or your forearm, on the metal frame of the case.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
yes your best off wering shoes with rubber souls and stand all the time and always touch some type of ground,such as the computer case, before u touch anything inside of it,and its also good to not wear sweat pants or shirt because they tend to generate the most static...

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
try to touch any large metal object around where your working,the easiest would be the pc case, and as for the psu that might not be enough to ground...the metal legs of the table,the cpu case, anything really that is metal..

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by X3Nh4nC3D

Can it be anything metal?

Like can i touch my psu sittin on my table?

This is the way it works. There are 3 ways of aquiring a static charge. The way people get them on their body is friction. You rub electrons off of the carpet, clothes, ect. Now you have a net charge because there is an excess of electrons on your body. By giving the electrons a path to the ground (everything want to be nuetral, its lowest potential), the electrons will leave you and head to the earth where they can be farther spread out. In order to do this you need to touch something that conducts electricity, i.e. metal. Rubber is not a good as this is a resistor.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok i get it now, it just has to be metal, and fairly big, thx guys you rock.

Rep for everyone!!!

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
Also, grab sensitive electronics by the edge. Try not to touch any of the components on a PCB. Mounting holes are also a good place to hold PCBs by as they are usually plated and are ground on the PCB.

This way you further minimize the risk of zapping sensitive components on the board.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts