Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so on the weekend i blew the circuit board of my external hard drive and i was really hoping that the 500GB drive itself was still saved but upon reinstall to my Desktop the drive did not spin, i couldn't even turn on my computer with it connected. So i looked at the logic board of the hard drive and a small square black resistor was cracked "I think it was a resistor" so i figured i would snip it off as i have heard some success with that. To my great success it did work as the drive is running now while I'm copying all important information over.

Now my question is... This drive seems to be running completely fine without that cracked square piece on the logic board. Is this drive still going to be reliable for the future?

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
It might be, but I wouldn't trust it.

Once you've got all your data moved off / backed up I'd try and get the thing RMA'd. If not, I'd only use it for simple storage that wasn't important to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Even the pcb is burned you can also recover the data by pcb replacement sometimes. I've done it before successfully on HDDZone.com. But this is not recommended to save important data on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts