Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, been a floater around here and searched but couldn't find an answer to this:

I currently have an 8800GT 512MB video card and am thinking about upgrading soon to either a GTX275 or a HD4890 [or anything else that anyone can recommend]. I don't exactly run the most demanding games but I do play at a resolution of 2560x1600.

The main games I play currently are World of Warcraft, and StarCraft 2 [beta]. Although the game runs somewhat smoothly, I seem to lose a drastic amount of FPS when a lot of activity is going on (I've read this may be affected due to the 8800GT being 512M???). I also plan/hope to play future titles such as Diablo 3 and whatnot (Doesn't seem to be too graphically intense)

My CPU is an E8400 and have 8GB of ram.

Asking for help from the experts, because I'm not too knowledgable in this field, and as I stated I couldn't find a thread asking if an upgrade is worth it for my resolution.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
2560x1600 is an extremely demanding resolution whichever way you look at it. And it's fairly VRAM hungry, too. Any 1GB card should do nicely. 5770, 5850? GTX285 if you can find one for a reasonable price? Depends on how much you want to spend (or not)!

Wait a few days and see what the new nVidia cards are like; worst case scenario is you've wasted a few days, best case they're amazing or prices drop on the ATi 5000 series cards in response to the launch...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

Being a college student
, my budget is fairly low (250-300$).

I was looking at the 5770's, but I read that the 4890 outperforms it and that the only benefit I'd really get (with the 5770) is lower power consumption and DX11 (not exactly sure how this will help me, running Windows 7 ATM).

Judging from your response, I think I'll wait a week or so for the new nVidia cards (though I probably can't afford it..but hopefully prices will drop on the current cards which will give me more options!)

Thanks again for the quick response, Paradigm~

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Well, on the 4890/5770 front, I can only go by UK pricing I'm afraid. The 5770 is nearly £50 cheaper than a 4890 (starting at £115 rather than £160), as the 4000 series cards are getting harder to find unless they're second-hand.

The other 'pros' of the 5700 series won't necessarily be 'pros' for you, of course - DX11 (debatable, given the DX11 games around at the minute), lower power draw (always a good thing as it means less heat and noise) and EyeFinity (triple screen goodness... but with provisos...)

The rumours surrounding what will, won't or might happen with the launch of GF100 are too numerous to really have any idea what is going to go on until it actually does. The GTX470 is supposed to be $299 according to some rumours... but who knows other than nVidia and their partners right now... and they're all keeping their lips sealed tightly.

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by choco
View Post

Thanks for the response.

Being a college student
, my budget is fairly low (250-300$).

I was looking at the 5770's, but I read that the 4890 outperforms it and that the only benefit I'd really get (with the 5770) is lower power consumption and DX11 (not exactly sure how this will help me, running Windows 7 ATM).

Judging from your response, I think I'll wait a week or so for the new nVidia cards (though I probably can't afford it..but hopefully prices will drop on the current cards which will give me more options!)

Thanks again for the quick response, Paradigm~

For a resolution of 2560 x 1600, you're pretty much requiring at least 1Gb of VRAM, so you need a 5770 or higher, or a GTX 260 (even though it only has 896Mb) or higher, though I think that the GTX 260 would fair better in this situation because of its larger memory bus and memory bandwidth, which becomes increasingly important as you up the resolution.

For value though... the HD5770 can't really be beat if you're buying the cards new. Look around for a HD4870 1Gb or something in the For Sale section here, that would be a great budget-friendly decision, even if it wouldn't give amazing performance, it would still be a far cry better than the 8800GT.

I moved from an 8800GT to my HD5850, and the difference is amazing. It would have no issues maxing out pretty much every game except Crysis at 2560 x 1600, and prices will be dropping on these after Fermi is launched (speculation of course, can't 100% know) so they'll become even better value for the money. These cards with their 1Gb of VRAM and huge amounts of memory bandwidth, as well as general graphics processing power would be optimal for your resolution, as long as you don't want to play Crysis (2) at Very High.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
u can fill in your system specs by going to the top of this page
clicking on user cp, and add system

but yeah, for that resolution, 1gb of gddr3/5 is a requirement.

games are a little more demanding now and upgrading that 8800gt would be a good idea

u can go for, depending on your budget:

4870 1gb
5770 1gb
5850 1gb
5870 1gb

gtx 260, gtx 280, gtx 275, gtx 285, and maybe even the new fermi.

all of them are nice cards and will be pretty high-mid end to high end for awhile

1 - 6 of 6 Posts