Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Twitch Streamer
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speedtest tells me I have an upload speed of like 1.5mb in California (where twitch.tv servers are located), so i decided I would try to stream some DotA 2. It streams fine most of the time (only problems i have are with the software), but when I do a test to the twitch.tv servers, and my upload speed does not go over 262kb, thus not letting me stream at a very great quality. Is it possible that this problem is over on their side? or is it on my side?

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Well if you were to watch a movie it would be your download. Upload would be if someone was to watch a movie from you, as an example.

·
Twitch Streamer
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabytes View Post

Well if you were to watch a movie it would be your download. Upload would be if someone was to watch a movie from you, as an example.
I am aware of this already. I know that streaming is basically all about my upload speed. But that still doesn't really answer my question if the low upload speed that is only 262kb is on my side, or the twitch.tv side.

·
Old To Overclock.net
2,462 Posts
I see you are in Houston as am I, who is your provider?

when you do the speed test is it 1.5Mbps or 1.5MB/s?
^Huge differences I mean huge....

Usually to figure out your MB/s which is the unit of data that you are referring to you would use the formula

Mbps x 0.125MB/s(which is the conversion rate) = your upload speed in MB

so in your case it would be: 1.5Mbps x (0.125MB/s) = .1875 x 1024(conversion to KB/s) = 192.75KB/s

192.75KB/s should be your rated speed so you are getting a bit more than rated.

source: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Mbps+to+MB%2Fs

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonespwns View Post

I am aware of this already. I know that streaming is basically all about my upload speed. But that still doesn't really answer my question if the low upload speed that is only 262kb is on my side, or the twitch.tv side.
OK, what?

If you are streaming a movie from twitch.tv or Netflix or whatever....its your download, not upload.

Either way, don't confuse kbps with kBps.

·
Old To Overclock.net
2,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabytes View Post

OK, what?
If you are streaming a movie from twitch.tv or Netflix or whatever....its your download, not upload.
Either way, don't confuse kbps with kBps.
^he wants to stream his gameplay of dota 2 over twitch.tv servers at a higher quality.

here is a small diagram of how it would work

his computer > twitch.tv servers> to viewers.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuFA View Post

^he wants to stream his gameplay of dota 2 over twitch.tv servers at a higher quality.
here is a small diagram of how it would work
his computer > twitch.tv servers> to viewers.
OK. Props to you, now I feel like an bone head.
tongue.gif

Makes more sense now. He just never really explained it very well.
thumb.gif

·
Twitch Streamer
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
really? wow i guess i was getting those two mixed up... haha. and I am using comcast

·
Premium Member
29,532 Posts
Try using another broadcast provider, like livestream.com or own3d.tv to isolate the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts