Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this might be a no brainer but I can't find any info on it. Most of the voltmods i've been reading are using 256mb 7900GTs. Is there any difference when doing the voltmod and memory mod (the one where you pencil the resistor) on a 7900GT with 512mb of RAM?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol... this is funny now, as i've just swapped my 7900GT 512MB for a 7950GT 512MB (not much of a leap in performance, but it was a steal)

So IS the voltmod for the 7950GT EXACTLY the same as the one for the 7900GT? Is the 7950GT just an a better quality 7900GT?

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
You just bought a card with slightly higher stock clocks... not a better card... at all.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac
View Post

You just bought a card with slightly higher stock clocks... not a better card... at all.

hmm... technical reviews of this card would beg to differ with you. Plus the way it will work out, I can sell my old 7900GT over here for more than what I paid for the 7950GT. I initially bought it just to sell on, but now I don't know whether I should keep it and volt mod it or just sell it on.

I'll have no problem recouping my money on this card as they are still pretty expensive to buy in Ireland. So should I sell it? Or keep my 7900GT and volt mod that?

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
I say keep your 7900GT and follow GatorLCA's FAQ showing you how to do the voltmod.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... its amazing how one persons opinion can sway me. I have a VF900 installed on my 7900GT atm, and I was just getting ready to see if I could pry the RAM sinks off it and put them onto the 7950GT. I think i'll leave well enough alone and just keep it.

bah... i guess i'll wait a few more weeks and keep an eye out for a 7900GTX on ebay, you USAers seem to be shedding them in the droves trying to get your 8 series for xmas... bully for me

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by leimrod
View Post

hmm... technical reviews of this card would beg to differ with you. Plus the way it will work out, I can sell my old 7900GT over here for more than what I paid for the 7950GT. I initially bought it just to sell on, but now I don't know whether I should keep it and volt mod it or just sell it on.

I'll have no problem recouping my money on this card as they are still pretty expensive to buy in Ireland. So should I sell it? Or keep my 7900GT and volt mod that?

I remember seeing that the 512Mb 7900GT outperforms a 512Mb 7950GT by the slightest bit, anybody else remember that review too?

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
I had a 7900GT KO (256MB) that I volt-modded to 1.49V (670/1680)

3DMark scores went up about 1000 pts.

The difference in gaming was also quite noticeable.

I know that you were asking about the 512MB, but I posted to give you a reference point.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Volt mods are based on the PCB, not the model as much. If the PCB is the same for the 7950GT and the 7900GT (512mb), then the volt mod will be the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts