Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so heres what i understand from it.

Vsync disabled makes it so your fps wont go over your monitor refresh rate.
correct?

so max fps i will get on a 60Hz monitor is 60 FPS correct?

so in theory i could disable vsync, using a 120Hz monitor and still play practically any game at full FPS cause my max would be 120 FPS? and i dont think any game runs over 120 fps. and this wold put an end to the coil whine i get when booting up a game?

am i correct in assuming this?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
vsync enabled tries to keep the fps locked (capped) to your monitors refresh rate by syncing the two.
vsync disabled allows the fps to run freely as high as it can go.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I force 75Hz on my monitors, I always use Vsync. I can't game without vsync. My max fps is always 75 because Vsync tries to match your monitor's refresh rate.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
coil whine comes from your card running really really fast (i.e. high fps)

vsync helps get rid of coil whine by limiting the fps to the monitor refresh rate.

so I don't follow your logic where getting a 120Hz monitor and turning off vsync helps get rid of coil whine.

it's the same thing as turning off vsync now with your 60Hz monitor

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
coil whine comes from your card running really really fast (i.e. high fps)

vsync helps get rid of coil whine by limiting the fps to the monitor refresh rate.

so I don't follow your logic where getting a 120Hz monitor and turning off vsync helps get rid of coil whine.

it's the same thing as turning off vsync now with your 60Hz monitor
well i get coil whine when vsync is on. when i turn it off its completely silent.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tzillian
View Post

well i get coil whine when vsync is on. when i turn it off its completely silent.

Really? That's the exact opposite of what would be expected, and what I've personally seen with cards that whine.

However, if that's the case, I suppose getting a 120MHz monitor might help via the mechanism you describe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts