Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's the situation:

I'm planning to spend a little money to try and improve the sound quality coming out of my netbook, but I'm not too sure where to spend it. I've currently got a pair of Philips SHP2500 headphones, which I'm pretty pleased with.

I've been looking at a Creative X-Fi Go, as an alternative to the onboard Realtek sound. So, is it worth getting the X-Fi, or is it pointless on a relatively cheap set of headphones? Or would I be better buying a better set of headphones, and sticking with the onboard sound? I can't afford both

Thanks in advance

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Laptop sound is so bad that I'm going to have to recommend getting any sort of sound device first. I haven't heard the x-fi go, but I'm sure it's alright, especially with your headphones.

You really don't have a lot of portable options that I've seen.. the only higher quality small dac I know of is this one, but it's a lot more then the x-fi : http://www.headphone.com/headphone-a...al-bithead.php

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
Musiland 02 is cheaper than that one. You can find it on ebay for $120.

You could also go with a uDAC for like 100, but you might as well go with the Musiland for the extra 20 bucks.

Laptop on board IS awful.

But of course, you'll want to upgrade to better headphones as well.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I had the x-fi surround external usb sound card. It's terrible man, awful drivers and the audio crackles and is out of sync with the picture. I'd suggest the musiland as well, I've heard very good things about it.

·
22,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Simca
View Post

Musiland 02 is cheaper than that one. You can find it on ebay for $120.

You could also go with a uDAC for like 100, but you might as well go with the Musiland for the extra 20 bucks.

Laptop on board IS awful.

But of course, you'll want to upgrade to better headphones as well.

The musiland 02 is kind of big for a laptop, and looks like it needs to be plugged in as well. The uDAC looks like it could be a better choice then the x-fi, and not too much more.

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
Emu 0404 is pretty good for what you're looking at, but expensive. A decent USB DAC is your best bet, though.

• Rep+
Reactions: japan1

·
22,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p
View Post

Emu 0404 is pretty good for what you're looking at, but expensive. A decent USB DAC is your best bet, though.

I guess it depends on how portable he needs it to be. I used to use my 0202 with my laptop, but it's really way too big to do any sort of traveling with.

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy9000
View Post

I guess it depends on how portable he needs it to be. I used to use my 0202 with my laptop, but it's really way too big to do any sort of traveling with.

If you're traveling, your best bet is to invest in a decent portable media player, not try to get good sound out of a netbook.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts