Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, I am limited to using 2x 120x25mm fans for my Megahalem, due to RAM heatsink clearance issue. (Dang those OCZ Reapers are tall)

The highest CFM fans I could find in my bins were couple of Scythe Slipstreams, which run at 110CFM.

I been told that these fans are not the greatest as heatsink fans, due to their shortcomings in the static pressure area.

However, the best S-Flex fans I could find, or any fans for that matter, which have "reasonable" sound level (40dB or less), were the S-Flex G series, which have CFM rating of 75CFM.

Having said this, I used to use Silverstone FM121 in Push/Pull config with my TRUE, and boy was it loud.

My question is...

Will I see any improvement in temps by switching to S-Flex fans? I read somewhere on one of reviews submitted here on OCN, comparing few fans, but the fans that were measured were pretty close in RPM range, and subsequently CFM range.

I guess the ultimate question is, will higher CFM rating of these Slipstreams make up for the lack of static pressure?

Your inputs please.

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
You could put an 38mm fan at the back of the Megahalem to avoid hitting the ram. There will only be a few degrees difference between the S-Flex's and the slip streams

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,931 Posts
If you're not opposed to having a blue LED fan that requires the use of the fan controller it comes with, then I highly recommend this fan:

Cooler Master 120x25mm Dual Ball Silent Fan (Y720DCD-25T1-GP) - 110.0CFM

I'm using it on my Tuniq Tower, and I keep it at about 1800 RPM, and it's really quiet and really effective. Notice the Air Pressure rating. I felt the performance of this fan, and let me tell ya: I think those specifications are spot-on.

This thing goes up to ~2500 RPM, and the plain black stock fan for the Tuniq Tower went up to ~2000 RPM. At 2000 RPM, this Cooler Master fan is much quieter and more powerful than that stock fan. At ~2500 RPM, it's still even a little bit quieter (or at least has a much more pleasing sound) than the stock fan. It also dropped my Small FFTs full-load temps by 3-4°C.

One of my favorite things about this blue LED fan is that the brightness of the LEDs is not dependent upon the fan's speed (when using the included fan controller).

Now, getting back to that fan controller: I like it because it comes set up to be installed in the 3.5" bay, but it can also be configured to go in an expansion slot.

This is certainly an awesome fan for a CPU heatsink.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angmaar
View Post

You could put an 38mm fan at the back of the Megahalem to avoid hitting the ram. There will only be a few degrees difference between the S-Flex's and the slip streams

So, run a Pull config only? Or are you suggesting leaving the Slipstream in the front for push, and 38mm fan (UltraKaze) in the back?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoHigh
View Post

Thanks for the info. I dunno about the fan controller though. Can't I just bypass that thing?

No. The fan controller must be used, otherwise the fan will not run any faster than ~800 RPM, and the LEDs will be very dim.

But again: if you decided to go with this fan, then you could put the included fan controller either in the 3.5" bay, or in an expansion slot.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoHigh View Post
I see... Then would these the same ones as the ones you are talking about, minus the fan controller? The blades look the same, but it looks like it limited to 2000 RPM.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/93...tl=g36c331s518
That's a completely different fan. Unfortunately, this fan I'm talking about is discontinued and FrozenCPU is the only store I can find who carries it now.

This fan here is a new series of fans. It has a similar air pressure to the one I'm talking about, but it's noticeably weaker. However, it's still a good performer. I have that very same blue LED R4 series in my front intake of my CM 690. Before I installed it, I compared it to the Silverstone FN121-BL that it replaced, and it makes the FN121-BL feel like it has absolutely no muscle. It was like comparing good, pleasing water pressure to really weak and annoying water pressure.

So, I guess these R4 fans would be a good choice. Here's their page on Cooler Master's website:
To get an idea of what they actually look like, just picture the fan with only those curved beams of light without the big circle of color. It's a very dark fan because you only see those 4 stripes of light from the reflection, but it actually looks cool.

Now, I am sure there might be a much better choice out there, but if you get to a point where you just don't know what to do, then these fans are a good choice.

• Rep+
Reactions: GoHigh

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for your help.

I have been playing around with different fan configs for about an hour, and I actually ended up going back to my old setup.

I found a 120x38mm Ultra Kaze 3000 in my bin, which I have not used yet because I found it offensively loud.

I tried installing it to see what kind of improvement I COULD see by better fan setup, so I installed it in the back, for PULL, and kept one of the Slipstreams for PUSH. I realize that this might not be the same as having one on both sides, but once again, I cannot use a 38mm fan for push due to clearance issues.

The results are that it made a difference of 1c, period, while making my computer unbearably loud.

I am starting to question the validity of writing off Slipstreams as a bad CPU fan afterall. To be honest, there is really no benchmark which shows these fans as inadequate fans, sans one review, which was not used as a PUSH/PULL config. While it may lack the thrust of static pressure with one fan config, I think that by combining two together in PUSH/PULL makes up for the static pressure.

I could be wrong, but I think I can live with these for awhile.

Thanks everyone, especially TwoCables, for your help.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I'm using 2 Scythe S-Flex 1600RPM 63CFM fans on my Mega. I also have Reaper HPC's. Clears the RAM by about 1 1/2 cm. Temps are fine to boot. (SFF21F to be exact)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by R00ST3R View Post
I'm using 2 Scythe S-Flex 1600RPM 63CFM fans on my Mega. I also have Reaper HPC's. Clears the RAM by about 1 1/2 cm. Temps are fine to boot. (SFF21F to be exact)
Yes, on my P5Q-Deluxe, it cleared the rams by about that much, however, on my new rig, with P6Tv2, it actually rests against the shroud of the fan.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,931 Posts
Quote:

Thanks so much for your help.

I have been playing around with different fan configs for about an hour, and I actually ended up going back to my old setup.

I found a 120x38mm Ultra Kaze 3000 in my bin, which I have not used yet because I found it offensively loud.

I tried installing it to see what kind of improvement I COULD see by better fan setup, so I installed it in the back, for PULL, and kept one of the Slipstreams for PUSH. I realize that this might not be the same as having one on both sides, but once again, I cannot use a 38mm fan for push due to clearance issues.

The results are that it made a difference of 1c, period, while making my computer unbearably loud.

I am starting to question the validity of writing off Slipstreams as a bad CPU fan afterall. To be honest, there is really no benchmark which shows these fans as inadequate fans, sans one review, which was not used as a PUSH/PULL config. While it may lack the thrust of static pressure with one fan config, I think that by combining two together in PUSH/PULL makes up for the static pressure.

I could be wrong, but I think I can live with these for awhile.

Thanks everyone, especially TwoCables, for your help.
Hehe you're welcome.

But is there a way to control the fan speed from the BIOS with this motherboard so that the fan isn't so loud? I mean, if it's that loud, then it might be turned up much higher than it actually needs to be. Although, only testing can prove that. I'm lucky: I live in a cool climate, my ambient temps are usually about 70°F or so, and I never really do anything but play with Firefox. Oh how embarrassing, but true. I sometimes play Quake 4 at the highest settings possible (without getting some crazy hack), but that doesn't introduce much heat. So, I'm able to keep that Cooler Master fan I linked from FrozenCPU at around 1800 RPM, and it's really quiet.

I easily forget how good I have it.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Quote:

Yes, on my P5Q-Deluxe, it cleared the rams by about that much, however, on my new rig, with P6Tv2, it actually rests against the shroud of the fan.
Ahh, I'm sorry I didn't take into account the different setup you have. I myself have questioned the status que on the whole Delta, San Ace, Panaflo only rule that seems prevelent here. My temps have remained quite acceptable all the way up to 1.4v vcore on this chip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts