Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folders, of specificly in this thread, Folding Farm owners. I have a question for the farmer. Do you guys bother running an SMP client, or is it all about GPU folding? From a PPD standpoint, it's much more efficient. Less heat, less power consumption, ect., but does anyone do it anyway?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
I run SMP on my quad (1 instance of Ubuntu in a VM) and the single core client on two rigs with GPUs. Its not about the points, but the research when it comes to running the uni client.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
when I had my garden up I was running smp as well as my gpu's

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarble
View Post

when I had my garden up I was running smp as well as my gpu's

hey man I know hows its personal as well....mom had breast cancer and all four grandparents had various forms of it as well........Hopefully all this work eventually adds up to something....

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
yes thats my plan, as long as my e2180 can clock high enough
hoping for something in the 3.0+ Ghz range

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Berger
View Post

hey man I know hows its personal as well....mom had breast cancer and all four grandparents had various forms of it as well........Hopefully all this work eventually adds up to something....

thanks man the last month or so has been frustrating for folding as I have gone from from a dedicated garden to just a gso because of ups :swearing:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Whenever I run any SMP clients my GPU PPD always go down and it becomes counter productive. So I only GPU fold.

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
newman, set all of the prioirties on the GPU clients as above average/high and set the SMP as low...

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
When I first put my "mini farm" together, I went as cheap as possible. I bought some Antec 500 PSU's on sale. I run the 4 card set up, so I'm pretty much right at my power limit. I don't run SMP, because of this. If I would of went with bigger PSU's I would run SMP, but that isn't the case now.

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
mine are fueled by refurbed cooler master 750W PSUs so SMP/GPU folding should be no problem
if only they'd ever POST!!!!! RAGE!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by H3||scr3am View Post
newman, set all of the prioirties on the GPU clients as above average/high and set the SMP as low...
I have and I can't remember if it's the GPU cores or the VM or both that get reset to normal. I had to set them every couple hours so I gave up. And no using a 3rd party app doesn't work either.

·
Premium Member
10,917 Posts
I use set priority, but yeah I could see it being a pain if it wasn't working for you and its the GPU clients, every WU they close the core process and fire it up again for the next unit, reseting its priority and affinity binds...

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Yes I run 2x VMware SMP while GPU folding on each Quad rig in my little garden...

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I don't at the moment, but occasionally I do. Reason is if your prioity or affinity is in anyway wrong it has no benefit. Second reason is once you have many machines its alot more work to monitor those same machines.

But with Core i7 you have so many threads you can run and are very good with smp, I would definately do it then.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
How can you guys pay the electricity bills o.o : <

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inktfish
View Post

How can you guys pay the electricity bills o.o : <

I have no electric bill, I live in Government housing paid for by the US Army...

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabe_OC
View Post

I have no electric bill, I live in Government housing paid for by the US Army...

Everyone send their folding rigs to Wannabe_OC

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mortimersnerd
View Post

Everyone send their folding rigs to Wannabe_OC

LOL

I wish it was that easy bro...

Even though we pay nothing, everything is built by the lowest bidder...

I can't even add any more rigs unless I start running extension cords all over the house, which the wife has said nada too for a long time...

Which is why I'm stuck in this funk and can't gain any ground...lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts