Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo! Let me cut to the chase. I plan to build a Mac/PC Rig. (I plan to get Snow Leopard, use bootcamp to create a partition and load windows in it) Why? Because, I am a Music Producer. But I like to game it up, So I need to know if all (Or ANY) of these parts of hardware will be compatible with Mac.

Intel Extreme Series BOXDX58SO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

2x MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Scythe KAMA READER 2 SCKMRD-2000BK 45-in-1 USB 2.0 Media Reader & Writer

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner Bulk Black SATA Model

You might think it's a stupid question, but I don't want to waste $1,850 on stuff that will be only compatible with 1 of my OS's.

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
I don't think you can run Mac OSX on that build. Apple have tight restrictions what on hardware can OSX run on it.

BTW Welcome to Overclock.net. Nice to see someone from Portland because I am from there too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, and crap... I just want to be able to game it up, Record and make beats. Looks like I'll have to buy a Mac Laptop ^_^;

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
You do realize that you can record and make beats on a PC too, right? It would definitely make your goal a LOT easier.

It IS possible to dual boot Mac and Windows...I just personally don't know how to do it, or what hardware is needed. Not really a "common" thing to see really.

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YaBoyJDub™ View Post
Nice, and crap... I just want to be able to game it up, Record and make beats. Looks like I'll have to buy a Mac Laptop ^_^;
Well your better at buying a Windows based laptop if you want to game. You could save money and buy Windows-based laptop instead of a MacBook unless someone objects.

Quote:
You do realize that you can record and make beats on a PC too, right? It would definitely make your goal a LOT easier.
This

EDIT: If you are really serious into music production and recording you should get a Desktop PC instead since you could upgrade the soundcard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

It IS possible to dual boot Mac and Windows...I just personally don't know how to do it, or what hardware is needed. Not really a "common" thing to see really.
I already make beats on a PC, but at class we all use Mac. Windows IS nice, but when it comes to music making software that packs a PUNCH on your CPU, Windows likes to crap out. I've worked on some pretty juiced PC's and they STILL crash/system lagg or... resets. I've never had that problem with a Mac. My PC sucks major butt, and I can't handle it anymore. I'm also getting some MAJOR music hardware and I don't think Windows will handle them the way Macs will...

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YaBoyJDubâ„¢ View Post
I already make beats on a PC, but at class we all use Mac. Windows IS nice, but when it comes to music making software that packs a PUNCH on your CPU, Windows likes to crap out. I've worked on some pretty juiced PC's and they STILL crash/system lagg or... resets. I've never had that problem with a Mac. My PC sucks major butt, and I can't handle it anymore. I'm also getting some MAJOR music hardware and I don't think Windows will handle them the way Macs will...
Windows will handle it better (as stated above) because of the fact that you could add in a better sound card.

I've got a rapper as a friend (honestly). He's really good. He uses an Athlon XP 3200+, 1GB of RAM, but a really nice sound card (I forget what it was now, built that for him YEARS ago). He's still making tracks just fine with it. And he's got the fastest machine out of any of his group (Chasin' Tha Money).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud
View Post

Windows will handle it better (as stated above) because of the fact that you could add in a better sound card.

I've got a rapper as a friend (honestly). He's really good. He uses an Athlon XP 3200+, 1GB of RAM, but a really nice sound card (I forget what it was now, built that for him YEARS ago). He's still making tracks just fine with it. And he's got the fastest machine out of any of his group (Chasin' Tha Money).

Err... You DO know I have to buy a External Audio Interface, right? Why? Because, I have to hook up my Headphone Preamp, Mic Tube amp, Monitors, Eq board AND the Mic. I can't do that with an Internal sound card. And PC better for music? HA! I've been making beats for the past 5 years, and I've been in 17 Major studios. Only 2 of them used Windows and it was still system lagging. They were going to switch to Mac. The only REAL good beat making software for PC is FL Studio, Cubase and Reason. Pro Tools and Sonar 8.5 are recording Programs, but I will get Sonar. Logic Pro 8 (For Mac) Blows ALL those programs out of the water except Reason. And that's also for Mac. Sonar MIGHT be a challenger for Logic. I'm no nOOb at this music thing. I just wanted to know if those parts were compatible with Mac. It sucks that they aren't. but I'm going to buy them anyway. I'll stick with PC, because that's more natural to me. If something goes wrong, I'll know what to do. Thanks for the heads up tho.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.