Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on any 8800's but would it be worth putting one on my christmas list for my wife to get me one with my currant pc setup? would my ram/cpu be not good enough or slow down the card? I am thinking if this gpu is as good as i have read then maybe it would be worth dropping my sli for the single card.

·
Premium Member
5,049 Posts
Can you fill in your system again? Like...things are missing

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All fixed for the important stuff as far as i can see.
looks like the board changed the system specs system lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would unfortunately say no, your CPU would probably bottleneck if it's not already. Your PSU is good enough to handle it, you might want to toss another gig of good ram in too.
I would try tossing in a new CPU, a good one, dont skimp because if your going to drop a couple hundred you might as well be prepared for a year or 3.
Even with a new CPu you should see massive increase in game performance if that what you were looking for.

·
Premium Member
24,372 Posts
Definately the CPU will hold you back. That Silverstone PSU is more than powerful enough for a single 8800.

I'd upgrade:
CPU: At least an Opteron 165 for around $160
RAM: Upgrade to a good 2GB kit (2x1GB). Do not add additional sticks to your current RAM. This might cost $300 or so.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
This seems to get asked quite often. YES, your CPU will be bottlenecked, especially being single core. Benchmarks have shown (for DX9 apps anyway) that that even the quad core QX6700 bottlenecks the 8800GTX. There's no doubt that the GPU would boost your performance a bunch, but as other's suggested, the money could be better spent on a new CPU.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sysshock
View Post

on any 8800's but would it be worth putting one on my christmas list for my wife to get me one with my currant pc setup? would my ram/cpu be not good enough or slow down the card? I am thinking if this cpu is as good as i have read then maybe it would be worth dropping my sli for the single card.

Your venice will definitely bottleneck that card. Pick up a c2d and corresponding mobo if you are getting an 8800. The performance gain will be uncanny.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
diggin up an older post of mine, but would an opty 165 be ok with an 8800?
im trying to come up with a least expencive way of getting an 8800 card without having to buy new c2d/mobo combo as that is just out of my range right now.

my idea is to start with a new cpu socket 939 then get 2 gig ram (2x1gigstick) but the ram im not sure on, i dont oc that much with my venice here but i might if the new cpu is better, and finialy i want to get an 8800 graphics.

1 cpu = this one?? would this be an ok choice for a future 8800 upgrade?

2 ram = one of these, not sure though

3 8800 will be on a wait for that one lol if i do 1 and 2 first.

money is limited gotta love being married lol so i have to make sure all my pc stuff gets approved by my accounting department (the wife
)

·
Premium Member
24,372 Posts
For a single card, the Opty should be fine, esp. when overclocked, and with an 8800GTS (GTX might show a slight bottleneck, but nothing too drastic, and when DX10 really comes out, more graphical power might be needed, lessening the bottleneck).

Take a look at this RAM also, esp. the 2GB sticks. DDR 500 allows for a better overclock without having to put the RAM on a divider (there is also DDR 500 on Newegg...):
http://www.tankguys.biz/memory-pc400...dbc7777e19d5e5

1 - 10 of 10 Posts