Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was able to purchase an extra Gateway PC from work they had ordered by mistake really cheap and needing an upgrade I went with the deal. The model was dx4831-01e. There is no dedicated graphics card and after looking at the other dx models offered I saw the 07 has a 5750 in it with what looks to be the same 300w psu. I plan on upgrading the psu later on but would it be safe to assume I could drop a similar graphics card in mine right now with the stock psu?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Well congrats on your upgrade.

However to be honest I would probably wait till you were able to upgrade your PSU. No sense in paying good money for a lesser alternative to conform to a PSU that you are going to be getting rid of later and then wishing you would have bought a better graphics card.

I would hold out, save your money and then make a purchase you don't regret.

Edit: The 5750 specs require a 450w power supply, you might be able to get away with 300w but maybe not considering what type of 300w they would put into a system like that.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
The components on your rig can't possibly consume more than 220W with a 5750 included. I think you'll be just fine.

·
Loosing Vision
1,885 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lckylocal View Post
I recently was able to purchase an extra Gateway PC from work they had ordered by mistake really cheap and needing an upgrade I went with the deal. The model was dx4831-01e. There is no dedicated graphics card and after looking at the other dx models offered I saw the 07 has a 5750 in it with what looks to be the same 300w psu. I plan on upgrading the psu later on but would it be safe to assume I could drop a similar graphics card in mine right now with the stock psu?
Try to post your Rig Spec for us please! it is in the quick link area.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
According to Gateways site.

Processor Intel® Core™ i3-530 Processor1 (2.93GHz, 4MB L2 Cache) with Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology6
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)7
Memory 6144MB DDR3 Dual-Channel 1333MHz Memory
Hard Drive 1TB SATA hard drive (Green Product - variable RPM)3
Chassis Designed for power and productivity, sleek and stylish mini-tower PC
Video Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD8
Application Software Microsoft® Works and Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 (60-day complimentary trial period)2
Audio High Definition Audio with 7.1-channel Surround Support
Available Expansion Slots Available: 1 - PCI-E x16, 1 - PCI-E x4, 2 - PCI-E x1
Dimensions (Box) 11" (H) x 18" (W) x 23" (D) or 279.4mm (H) x 457.2mm (W) x 584.2mm (D)
Dimensions (System) 15.98" (H) x 7.09" (W) x 16.26" (D) or 406mm (H) x 180mm (W) x 413mm (D)
External Ports (10) USB 2.0 ports (4 Front, 6 Rear), IEEE 1394a, (2) eSATA, VGA, (2) PS/2 Ports, HDMI™, (5) Audio Ports, Optical S/PDIF9
Keyboard Premium Gateway Keyboard
Media Card Reader Multi-in-One Digital Media Card Reader with Photo Frame Button4
Memory Capacity Expandable to 8GB
Motherboard Systemboard with Intel® H57 Express Chipset
Mouse Optical Mouse
Network 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Optical Drive 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive
Power Supply 300W Power Supply
Security Software Norton™ Internet Security 2009 (60-day trial)5
Warranty 1 Year Parts and Labor Limited Warranty with Toll-Free Tech Support10
Weight 25 lbs. (11.3 kg) system unit only / Approximately 30 lbs. (13.6 kg.) box

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668380.php

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
those cheap 300w PSUs they put in those might not even be able to deliver the full 300w.

i would get a better PSU first and then a 5770. you could probably run a 5670 or 5750 for a short time with that psu, but you will be risking your computer every time you play a game and put a load on your CPU/GPU. i lost an older computer of mine because i tried to run a dedicated GPU with one of those cheap PSUs.

maybe a pic of the sticker on the side of the PSU that shows the amperages and such for the PSU? or just list them. i would like to see something with 18 amps on the +12v rail or more at minimum. thats probably a stretch for the PSUs that are put in machines like gateway, hp and dell.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If you're planning on buying a new PSU, make sure the computer doesn't use those stupid proprietary power supplies that Dell and other OEM's package with their computers. If that's the case, a standard ATX power supply will not fit, without swapping for a new tower case or modifying the original.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
+rep for pointing that out

i hate it when OEMs do this, you might want to take some measurements or look up whether or not standard ATX12v PSUs will fit in your case

if youre not sure, you can get a little budget mid-tower ATX case for $50 or so and skip the whole issue.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the psu and it is standard size so a swap would be no problem. The sticker lists:
FSP Group Model FSP300-60THA
+3.3v 20.0a
+5v 26.0a
+12v1 8.0a
+12v2 14.0a
+5vsb .8a
(+3.3v + +5v = 130w max)

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lckylocal
View Post

I checked the psu and it is standard size so a swap would be no problem. The sticker lists:
FSP Group Model FSP300-60THA
+3.3v 20.0a
+5v 26.0a
+12v1 8.0a
+12v2 14.0a
+5vsb .8a
(+3.3v + +5v = 130w max)

FSP isnt too bad if its a good unit, but considering its an OEM, its probably one of their cheapest units.

the 12v1 is for CPU and 12v2 is for the GPU. does it say the max wattage for 12v1+12v2? or just 12v2?

like i said earlier, you could probably run a 5670 or 5750, but when you play games you will be pushing that PSU to its limits and it probably wont last long like that. if you play games often, that PSU could fail within a month or 2. its really not worth the risk of blowing up your computer.

there are some good OCZ 600w PSUs you can get for $40 after rebates on newegg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts