Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've got some Seagate green drives (5900rpm, 32mb cache) that I want to use for a mediaserver. I've read about both hardware RAID and software RAID, etc.

I love the idea of hardware raid, but only because I have this strange problem with liking everything super fast (and go figure I ended up here hah).

My question is, in a real world situation where I am only using this box running WHS to store my movies, music, and documents for work, will I notice any real differences in streaming data from a software based RAID running from the mobo or a cheap SAS card vs. get more expensive hard drives and a RAID card like the PERC5 or PERC6 that I've read about?

I'd really like to keep power consumption to a minimum and have some sort of failsafe if a hard drive fails (raid5), and I wouldn't mind saving the money if I'm really not going to see a difference in streaming my media (1080p) from the server. I appreciate your advice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
No performance hit either way. You dont even need to do raid, could encrypt the drive using AES, twofish, and AES again, and there would be NOMINAL if any hit... just make sure your CPU/ram can keep up, as they tend to be limiting factors in low budget setups.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: marketermac

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,339 Posts
The biggest issue is if the operating system powers down the hard drives after a set amount of idle time. With slower drives, it can take a good 15 seconds before it spins up and starts playing or whatever you are doing. If you disable that in the power options then you won't see much difference at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Odyn
View Post

No performance hit either way. You dont even need to do raid, could encrypt the drive using AES, twofish, and AES again, and there would be NOMINAL if any hit... just make sure your CPU/ram can keep up, as they tend to be limiting factors in low budget setups.


I've never heard of AES or twofish, I assume they somehow backup data as they go?

I've got an i3 2100 and 4gb of DDR3 1333 ram for this build. RAID isn't necessary, I just want to get the redundancy of it in case of drive failure. If there is a better option that won't take up anymore then 1 of my extra drives like RAID5 would do, I'd definitely be open to that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by IEATFISH
View Post

The biggest issue is if the operating system powers down the hard drives after a set amount of idle time. With slower drives, it can take a good 15 seconds before it spins up and starts playing or whatever you are doing. If you disable that in the power options then you won't see much difference at all.

I had no idea you could even disable that haha. My WD green drives have been driving me nuts with that. Just found the option for it to....wow.

I assume by disabling that though I wouldn't achieve the low power setup I'm after. I don't mind waiting 15 seconds for a video to start if the drive is powered down, I've just read lots of bad things about green drives falling out of RAID arrays and don't want to go though that. I just want an easy solution that doesn't take up half my drives (ie RAID1) to protect myself against drive failure. If I can get a performance increase at the same time all the better..but with these hard drives it doesn't seem like RAID5 is an option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by marketermac
View Post

I've never heard of AES or twofish, I assume they somehow backup data as they go?

I've got an i3 2100 and 4gb of DDR3 1333 ram for this build. RAID isn't necessary, I just want to get the redundancy of it in case of drive failure. If there is a better option that won't take up anymore then 1 of my extra drives like RAID5 would do, I'd definitely be open to that.

AES / Twofish are encryption schemes... imagine two different kinds of padlocks. Anyways, what happens if you encypt your HD is that de-encryption happens in real time, so it takes up valuable resources in doing so.

Imagine a v4 engine (htpc) with very little horsepower climbing up a hill... it will take more RPMs to climb it. Then imagine a v8 (gaming rig) ... a lot less effort. Anyways, thats encryption, and thats only if you want to keep your data confidential.

Fish is right though sort of, although I have an HTPC and I have never had a 15s spool time (more like 3-4s). Again, cpu/ram can be limiting factors at times, ESPECIALLY if you go SUPER cheap which is what most people do.

GOod luck.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top