Overclock.net banner

Question on my server rack

1328 5
I recently purchased a small server rack(24U I believe it was) that measures 28"x19"x20" (H x W x D) . I am wanting to move my desktop into it, eventually housing my desktop a file server, and possibly moving my small amount of networking to it. I'm running into an issue finding a server chassis, though. I was looking at a Rosewill RSV-L4000, but it measures 7.00" x 16.80" x 25.00" (H x W x D). Would this fit okay? Are there any rail kits short enough to fit in a 20" deep rack like this?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· 46 Cans of Ravioli
36,831 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Rack Height you have is 16u not 28. The only way to get a 28u Rack is custom and that cost lots of money. 24u is a half rack size that's over 48 inches high. Standard Rack Spacing is 1.75 inches. You got the right size for a custom desk build as this places the desktop right at a nice 29/30 inches of height so that's the biggest part of the build.

For the desktop case, go with a Chenbro 42300 F1 case. I've got one and it's build quality is very solid. What I like is the case isn't some thin PoS that vibrates and amplifies any noise inside it and the drive bays have effective isolation mounts. I was using mine with a pair of 15k 3.5 Cheetah Drives and the only time I heard them was during spinup. Even had a bunch of 10k 2.5 drives on adapter trays in the 5.25 bay and didn't hear them. Very happy with that quality. It also has a front 120mm fan that I'm planning on replacing. Yes it moves a lot of air but the problem is, the damn thing is noisy at full blast - about 3k RPM. There are better fans that move the same air at half the speed, which would be almost silent. Or limit the blasted thing to 1500rpm and be done with it. At lower speeds, its very quiet, which is why I haven't replaced it yet.

HSF height limit is 163mm so you wont be using the Noctua NH-14u cooler but the 12u and 9u models will fit fine. They also have a down draft 140mm unit that's reasonable in height (shorter then the 9u) so only issue might be clearance around cpu socket and yes, it's for both Intel and AMD. I'd certainly look at Noctua's Low Profile offerings for 1-2u cases as they have a few that might work.

Water Cooling is an option but you'll need a custom loop as I don't know of anyone making an 80mm based AIO. You'll need to look real hard at the HardwareLabs.com Micro 160 Radiator as that's a dual 80mm unit rated for 350/400w of thermals. Good choice for that and with a quality pump, should be very quiet.

Any space left in the rack can be filled with either a Battery Backup/UPS or a 2u Drawer. I would look at both as the drawer can hold miscelaneous items for the Rack such as spare cables, drives, tools and Manuals while the battery backup protects the investment and yes, I'd add a large enough batter backup depending on expected loads.

· Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I mistyped that. Definitely not a 24U.

I'll check that case out. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.