Fly on the wall
2,432 Posts
What are your idle temps?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
You're below 50.
You're fine.

Do some serious burn-in tests (Benchmark programs offer that). (try prime95).

To see what the max load temps are.
Thats what you should be concerned with right now.

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
You're running stock so I assume your temps are going to easily fall within an acceptable range

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Stock?! Come on, it's a Q6600, at least put it at 3.0. 333x9 with stock volts or one notch up from stock ought to do you.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zhevra
View Post

Ahhh i'm still a scrub at knowing what all theses computer terms stand for. What exactly is stock!!!?

Stock is whatever the original configuration is. In the case of the Q6600, 2.4GHz (266x9).

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
DONT head for 70+ ANYTHING.

That temp is the temp that the chip is guranteed to fry for.

IF you keep your chip at even 69*c, it WILL significantly reduce the lifespan of the chip.

I say, keep your chip under 60*c if you want it to live a happy long life of support for you, It's master.

60 even is HIGH in my book.

What I would say is 55*c and lower is a comfy life for your chip.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Bah, the chip doesn't fry at 71. That's just the point at where you start significantly losing lifespan. Go check out a Q6600 at stock speed with stock cooling. It'll run into the 60s under load. It was designed to.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10 View Post
Bah, the chip doesn't fry at 71. That's just the point at where you start significantly losing lifespan.
Which will lead to?
When I say "fry" I dont necessarily mean that you'll hear crackling noises,smell BBQ and see/smell smoke.

But run your chip at 73*c for any extension of time and see what happens.
IT WILL FRY EVENTUALLY.
I've noticed much of this rhetoric HERE, and it surprises me frankly :|

Believe me, when you hear Intel list a temperature as being its max operating temperature...
THEY MEAN MAX. Its plain foolish to run a chip at those temps.
One's chip may give a year under such circumstances, when another might only live for 2 months. All chips are not created equal.

Intel has not had a firm reputation over the years for giving boxed cooling that aptly cools their chips. They've always been mediocre really.
Compared to the boxed sets that came out for AMD's 64bit chips. (THEY RAN COOL.)

So Intel's chips running into the "60s" at stock is no indicator of anything.
Intel cant account for what its users case ambients are, and I forward that with an adequetly cooled case, 59-60 is round about the top temps the chips will reach under load with stock coolers. NOT the "60s".

It WAS "designed" to withstand those temperatures sure.
But the word "withstanding" suggests enough.
Its a totally different matter from creating an environment that will see the chip having a LONG lifespan.
Close to that 10-12YEAR average lifespan that is accepted as SHOULD BE average for CPUs. Suffice to say, a chip that lives in a home where its average load temp during operating is 70*c SHALL NOT LIVE THAT LONG.

I wish folks here would start realizing how important the said is in the long run.

I say, keep your chip -60*c.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
So in other words, you agree with me.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Are you seeing the invisible posts of my clone? :|

1 - 15 of 15 Posts