Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mobod will support many different types of raid so that is not a problem. My question is about raid and the os. What would be the best way to do it. I don't want any other type of raid so don't go there. Any way should I put the os on a whole seperate drive and raid the the other two drives or should I partition the drive and do it that way? Any advice? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,190 Posts
If you want to implement RAID 1 (or any type of RAID) then you need to reformat your two HDD to the same exact size. No need to set partitions later. Just install the OS as is.
Cheers

·
Registered
406 Posts
Why would you want raid 1? If you want performance surely you want raid 0? Raid 1 will just do an exact mirror of the 1st disk

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AAAHHHHh. As I said I don't want any other raid than 1. I want the mirror. It is for security not performance.
In raid one why I would like to partition or use a separate hd for the os is if I ever have to reformat I would just reformat and not have to worry about all the docs and pics and video when doing so.

·
Premium Member
8,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
AAAHHHHh. As I said I don't want any other raid than 1. I want the mirror. It is for security not performance.
In raid one why I would like to partition or use a separate hd for the os is if I ever have to reformat I would just reformat and not have to worry about all the docs and pics and video when doing so.
You can for sure create partitions within the Minored HDD

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Well I am pretty usre that with any raid like this it sees all the hdd's as one hdd so you would have to use a partitiion for just the os but I am not sure as too reformatting the rest of the space and doing it seperatly then the os partition with a raid setup.

I currently run raid 10 (or 1+0) and am loving it. ANy time that I get any type of corruption it runs the raid utility tool which scans and corrects errors and if I lose a drive I can simply replace that drive. I am using 4 hdd's though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts