Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been looking at some some motherboards on line and i saw something. On one board it said 2x PCIEx16 SLi (SLi mode 8x, 8x) and on another i saw
2x PCIEx16 SLi (SLi mode 16x, 16x). Does this mean that on some boards when you upgrade from one PCIE graphics to 2 the speed of the graphics halfs([email protected] or 2 @8x)?

Oh and whats S.D.G.E Bus?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
SLi runs 2 cards at 8x, half the speed. Some new Motherboards run them both at their normal 16x speed, but the performance doesnt stack up to hype. Minimal gains with the current drivers and chipsets.

best bet is to wait until there is a chipset that can utilize the 16x speed to the fullest...what they have now is a good start and should continue to get better

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuthy

Just been looking at some some motherboards on line and i saw something. On one board it said 2x PCIEx16 SLi (SLi mode 8x, 8x) and on another i saw
2x PCIEx16 SLi (SLi mode 16x, 16x). Does this mean that on some boards when you upgrade from one PCIE graphics to 2 the speed of the graphics halfs([email protected] or 2 @8x)?

Oh and whats S.D.G.E Bus?

Yes, most motherboards limit SLI to 8X on each when using 2 cards, but it makes little to no difference. Even with the latest cards, the bandwidth still isn't bottlenecked by the bandwidth as can be seen by the benchmarks. As far as I know, only MSI and ASUS have a motherboard with 16x on both slots, but I wouldn't let that be your deciding factor in choosing a board. It will make no difference.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was actually an ECS board that i say with the 16x,16x. Quality guys thanx a munch.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

It was actually an ECS board that i say with the 16x,16x. Quality guys thanx a munch.

Do you have a link to the board you were looking at? I'd like to see it just in case it was a misprint.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

here you go. http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Product...=Specification

Interesting, they haven't gotten ANY publicity or reviews. That board is most definitely a full 16X on both slots, they sure released it quietly. I had no idea it even existed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts