Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this stuff laying around my desk area for about 1 year now.

1. Arctic Silver 5 compound
2. Arctic Clean Surface Purifier
3. Arctic Clean material remover.

Now is this stuff still good after being sitting around the room for going on a year? Temp been pretty good year round. All havent been left in any direct sunlight or nothing like that. Just wanna save some money
smile.gif

Was going to apply this stuff on my GTX 580 Block and CPU block

·
Pigeon Poop Enthusiast
4,288 Posts
I use MX-4. Great stuff with no curing time.

• Rep+
Reactions: Legiox

·
Registered
152 Posts
its not electrically conductive, but rather electrically capacitive. Big difference.

Anyway, to answer your question: Yes, it should be perfectly fine so long as it hasn't dried out.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haze_hellivo
View Post

Artic Silver 5 is electrically conductive and may break your card.

If you're careless enough to spill it over where it's not supposed to be, maybe.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Get some MX-4 and use that.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I am getting really sick of this mis-information. If you don't know what you are talking about then don't open your mouth.

AS5 is not electrically conduction. It is slightly capacitive which is a big difference. AS5 is fine. It just has a cure time.

I switch over to MX4 because of better temps.

·
phenomenal swag
3,673 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Turd ?!

He didn't call you a turd
. He said "well turd", like he was saying "oh, crap" or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broseidon
View Post

If you're careless enough to spill it over where it's not supposed to be, maybe.

This. AS5 is fine to use as long as you're careful with it. Just be warned that there is a period of time where it needs to cure after you've applied it, so you won't see an immediate improvement in temps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for advice wholeeo. Now can i still use the cleaner and purifier to get the TIM off the GTX 580 when it comes in?

+Rep to you sir

·
phenomenal swag
3,673 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Legiox
View Post

Thanks for advice wholeeo. Now can i still the cleaner and purifier to get the TIM off the GTX 580 when it comes in?

+Rep to you sir

Yes. To be honest, you should see what your temps will be first before you apply the AS5. Maybe you won't even need to. I never like applying TIM to anything if I don't have to. I always manage to smear it and get an uneven application somehow (except for maybe one time, and that Venomous X is never coming off my 1090T
)...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by decimator;15250199
Yes. To be honest, you should see what your temps will be first before you apply the AS5. Maybe you won't even need to. I never like applying TIM to anything if I don't have to. I always manage to smear it and get an uneven application somehow (except for maybe one time, and that Venomous X is never coming off my 1090T
tongue.gif
)...
Thanks. I just ordered some MX-4 (not much in cost). As always this forums is ripe with information!!!! Thanks again to all.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
If you are asking because you want to put a water "block" on, then AS5 is fine. If you are just getting a 580 and changing the TIM for better temps, don't. In most cases it won't do anything or even hurt performance if you do it wrong.

·
Agressive Perfector
1,309 Posts
AS5 is not outdated at all. I have put AS5 on my Radeon 9800 with good success (the old TIM dried up and my temps were sky high). The curing time was about 5 days and after that there were no issues. I don't know what it would act like on a newer GPU but it should work without issues.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by steven88
View Post

is arctic silver 5 still good for CPU? or is it outdated?

It is still fine. There are other TIM's out there that are "better" (by maybe 1-2°C), but if you already have it, use it. Do not make a special trip or order for another TIM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComradeNF
View Post

AS5 is a bad idea on a GPU. MX-2/4 is pretty good.

I have used it on 10+ GPU's without any issues.

Quote:

View Post

It is electrically capacitive, not conductive, big difference. It will not "break" a card.

• Rep+
Reactions: steven88
1 - 19 of 19 Posts