Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am not new to building computers, however, I am new to high end computers. I am in the process of planning a new build, hopefully purchasing in the next week or so.

I have come across a problem though, I am using two GTX 580 3GB cards in SLI (not sure which make yet) one of the ones I have been looking at, the Gainward Phantom is a 2.5 slot width card, compared with the Palit card which is a standard 2 width.

I have also been looking at either getting a P8Z68-v Pro motherboard or a p67 sabertooth, I would normally go for the p8z68-v pro one but have been told the spacing between pci-e slots (the 16x ones) is not large enough to accomodate the 2.5 width cards, or atleast not comfortably.

Case wise I will be using a HAF-X case.

I am wondering if anyone could give me some insight into a couple of points.

If I use the p8z68 board will two 2.5 width cards fit into the adjacent pci-e slots?

If I go for the sabertooth will the second 2.5 width card come close to the powersupply? I have been told that it may not fit because of the distance between the pci-e slot and the PSU.

Hopefully someone can answer

Regards

Jon

PS Also if both end up being an option, which board should I go for? P67 or p8z68?

·
M2N Fan
2,864 Posts
Either of the boards will work,Asus uses 3 slot spacing for the pciex16 slots.

But if you plan to use the one with the 2.5 slot cooler in the lower slot the P8Z68-v Pro x16 #2 slot has 3 slot clearance to the psu also.

Good luck

Gyro

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gyro
View Post

But if you plan to use the one with the 2.5 slot cooler in the lower slot the P8Z68-v Pro x16 #2 slot has 3 slot clearance to the psu also.

Good luck

Gyro

Cheers Gyro, any idea which one to go for out of the two boards? Im tempted by the P67 because it looks really nice, but then I believe the z68 is the newer chipset? Would I notice much difference? Or is there a specific reason why I should deffinately go for one over the other?

·
Banned
4,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gyro
View Post

Good luck

Gyro

Thats what i was thinking

·
M2N Fan
2,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchy198588
View Post

Cheers Gyro, any idea which one to go for out of the two boards? Im tempted by the P67 because it looks really nice, but then I believe the z68 is the newer chipset? Would I notice much difference? Or is there a specific reason why I should deffinately go for one over the other?

I'm an AMD guy and know next to nothing about Intel,perhaps someone with Intel experience can chime in. Sorry.

Gyro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts