Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a new PC for one of my friends, and wondering if I should get him one one HD5850 or 2 of these HD5770 XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB DDR5 . Please assist ;o
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
It may also depend on what you are doing and what the computer specs are. But just a one on one comparison the 5850 wins. Of course it cost alittle more too.
My bad I overlooked the "2" 5770's.
5850 is a faster card, but 2 5770's might beat it. I personally would probably still go with the 5850 and then later grad an additional card.
I have 3 5870's and have seen many places where people are overclocking there 5850's to compare with the 5870's.
Steam proccessors and memory interface is where the 5850 pulls ahead of the 5770 and that is why I would go 5850

5850:
memory interface - 256bit
steam processors - 1440

5770:
memory interface - 128bit
steam processors - 800
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,798 Posts
Uhh.. YOU are building his PC. That probably means that he doesn't know TOO much about computers. If you CFX ATi cards, you WILL have driver problems. HE doesn't know how to handle them. A single card is the only solution. Or would you like to build your friend a computer that gives him problems he doesn't know how to fix?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Jayek
View Post

check out this site.

http://www.legionhardware.com/articl...hd_5850,1.html

So looking at that, 5770's in crossfire are slightly lower than one 5870. And judging by alot of feedback I have seen, if you overclock your 5850 some it is pretty close to one 5870, so I would still go with one 5850 over two 5770's.
Then upgrade in the future if he wants.
I have not had problems with crossfire, but you will find alot of people say to stick with one card versus two.

My vote is 5850
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by De-Zant
View Post

Uhh.. YOU are building his PC. That probably means that he doesn't know TOO much about computers. If you CFX ATi cards, you WILL have driver problems. HE doesn't know how to handle them. A single card is the only solution. Or would you like to build your friend a computer that gives him problems he doesn't know how to fix?

I disagree. I have 3 5870's in crossfire and DO NOT have driver problems.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,798 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by SAMOEDADDY
View Post

I disagree. I have 3 5870's in crossfire and DO NOT have driver problems.

Judging from what I have seen from CFX setups, he WILL have problems. Maybe not right away, but after some time, he will have problems with artifacts, stuttering, and not being able to enable CFX in some games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by De-Zant View Post
Judging from what I have seen from CFX setups, he WILL have problems. Maybe not right away, but after some time, he will have problems with artifacts, stuttering, and not being able to enable CFX in some games.
And you may be right. But just for the fact that it is a custom build means that there may be problems in the future. Could be a good learning experience. He could always ask the friend building it. Unless they are very far apart or the person building it doesnt really know what he is doing.

So I am not saying that you are wrong, but it is almost certain that there will be problems with a COMPUTER no matter whether it is store bought or custom built.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,798 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMOEDADDY View Post
And you may be right. But just for the fact that it is a custom build means that there may be problems in the future. Could be a good learning experience. He could always ask the friend building it. Unless they are very far apart or the person building it doesnt really know what he is doing.

So I am not saying that you are wrong, but it is almost certain that there will be problems with a COMPUTER no matter whether it is store bought or custom built.
Adding to those problems because of this decision isn't going to help, unless the person getting the computer is willing to learn. I bet he isn't, because otherwise he would be building his computer by himself.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,233 Posts
I have crossfired 5850s... I have no issues at all with crossfire... though i do wait for others to beta test drivers for me when they are released..just to see if the gains I see is worth updating them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by De-Zant
View Post

Adding to those problems because of this decision isn't going to help, unless the person getting the computer is willing to learn. I bet he isn't, because otherwise he would be building his computer by himself.....

It could for sure go either way.

Looks like you are a Team Fortress 2 player!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
Get the single card, it will be much simpler. I think performancewise two 5770 are a bit less powerful than a single 5870, but its not a lot cheaper, so I would get a 5870.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,798 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by SAMOEDADDY
View Post

It could for sure go either way.

But the point is, we don't know. And it's better to play it safe now, than to get the friend regret the computer that he has because of the problems (if they occur)

Quote:


Originally Posted by SAMOEDADDY
View Post

Looks like you are a Team Fortress 2 player!!

And off topic statement of the month goes to SAMOEDADDY

And yes I play TF2, but that is from Gmod....

But don't post that off topic statements... Those belong in private messages ._.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Yea, I'm with de-zant. It's Just better to play it safe if the computer is not for you. He may never experience any problems with a cf5770 but there are many compelling reasons to get a single 5850 over a cf 5770. Avoiding these potential problems is just the icing on the cake.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top