Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Stop pre-ordering games
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some insight, info, and experience regarding the Meltdown and Spectre Windows 10 updates.

I'm still running an old gaming system - (3770k [email protected], 16GB 2133, and a GTX 1080 with a decent OC too) - as nothing has blown me away with how amazing it is as yet.
Because of the potential huge drop in performance that was being reported when the Meltdown and Spectre patches were being rolled out, I disabled Win 10 auto-update permanently using a registry edit and I've stayed on version 1803 from April 2018 as I didn't want to take a huge hit to performance which might have forced me to upgrade when I didn't want to yet.

With a potential full system upgrade likely coming at the end of the year, I figured I should update and get used to the new Windows 10 features, but before I do that I wanted to find out IF these huge performance drops did materialise or if it was blown out of proportion.
I've found some videos and benchmarks of people testing the pre-patch versions vs the post-patch versions but that's with new modern hardware, I can't find any real testing done on older systems so I thought I would ask to see if people here had seen or read something about it, or if people had first hand experience themselves after updating?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. Also, is there a current Best version of Windows 10, the latest version that isn't broken and will delete all my stuff? I haven't kept up to date with the versions so I don't know which ones were the broken updates that caused all of the deleting files and instability problems.

·
Overclocker in training
12,954 Posts
Hi,
Old pc's, new pc's all Intel platforms are affected.
GRC | InSpectre

·
Stop pre-ordering games
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Old pc's, new pc's all Intel platforms are affected.
GRC | InSpectre
Yeah, I'm aware that it affected everyone but the speculation around the time was older hardware, especially 1st to 3rd gen Intel would be hit Bad. So, I wanted to check if this did indeed happen and my old girl is going to be hobbled if I update Windows. I can live with a few percent drop in fps or a bit of latency here and there, but if those benchmarks that circulated back then are correct, my old 3770k would be hit by a 20-30% drop. That's what I was worried about.

Anyway, appreciate it, I'll take a look. Thanks.

·
Overclocker in training
12,954 Posts
Hi,
Well even if Intel made a newer micro code wouldn't really mean much that's why the utility was developed to workaround the performance hit.
Only other workaround is AMD lol o_O

·
Stop pre-ordering games
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
Well even if Intel made a newer micro code wouldn't really mean much that's why the utility was developed to workaround the performance hit.
Only other workaround is AMD lol o_O
Oh wow, I haven't had a chance to look at that link yet as I'm working right now so I left it until I get home, I thought it was just a guide on what Spectre/Meltdown is and maybe with information on how to avoid being subjected to the exploit.
But from what you said it's sort of an unofficial patch for the exploits so you don't need the official Windows patches, is that what you're saying?

·
Overclocker in training
12,954 Posts
Oh wow, I haven't had a chance to look at that link yet as I'm working right now so I left it until I get home, I thought it was just a guide on what Spectre/Meltdown is and maybe with information on how to avoid being subjected to the exploit.
But from what you said it's sort of an unofficial patch for the exploits so you don't need the official Windows patches, is that what you're saying?
Hi,
Yeah just download it to your desktop
Right click and use run as administrator on the .exe file and click on the Disable buttons.
Restart the machine.
Should read Good on performance now.

·
OCN is bad civilization
3,541 Posts
Yeah, I'm aware that it affected everyone but the speculation around the time was older hardware, especially 1st to 3rd gen Intel would be hit Bad. So, I wanted to check if this did indeed happen and my old girl is going to be hobbled if I update Windows. I can live with a few percent drop in fps or a bit of latency here and there, but if those benchmarks that circulated back then are correct, my old 3770k would be hit by a 20-30% drop. That's what I was worried about.

Anyway, appreciate it, I'll take a look. Thanks.
Performance drop was nowhere near 20-30% on my 3770K. Not sure it even reached double digits. There is Intel microcode update to plug some of the holes, but that requires some fiddling with either stock BIOS file or straight up extracted binary from the chip. You can just disable mitigations if you want, but I haven't found any legit reason to do so.

·
Overclocker
3,627 Posts
If I recall correctly the patches did decrease performance on all Intel CPU's that didn't have a hardware fix. However, the fix came in a few parts.
1. Via Bios Update.
2. Driver Chipset Update
3. Win10 file called mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll

What I've found most noticable is that i/o processing was considerably slowed down. Like File transfers, using the usb, etc. For games it was slower but not as noticable. For example, I would stick in my usb thumb drive and it would take a second or 2 longer with the patch just to get the popup screen to show up. When before, it was instantaneous.

It's things like that.

·
Stop pre-ordering games
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
Yeah just download it to your desktop
Right click and use run as administrator on the .exe file and click on the Disable buttons.
Restart the machine.
Should read Good on performance now.
View attachment 2459095
Sorry for late reply, had to get some sleep. Wow, so I can add the patches without updating Windows, or update Windows but remove the patches to negate the performance drop. Fan-flippin-tastic, thank you for that, really appreciate it.

·
Overclocker in training
12,954 Posts
Sorry for late reply, had to get some sleep. Wow, so I can add the patches without updating Windows, or update Windows but remove the patches to negate the performance drop. Fan-flippin-tastic, thank you for that, really appreciate it.
Hi,
You can update everything and disable mitigations with Inspectre again if they revert back or reads poor again instead of good performance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts