Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i have a question as follows........I have a 1800x at default settings ( i dont overclock) and was looking at the threadripper and the 2700x , i mostly play modern games like Wildlands i get
80fps on default high settings.

would the performance increase for me if i upgraded to a more expensive CPU like the 2700X, i did some reading that clock speeds makes the difference instead of more cores
is that true??

should i wait till the AM 4+ comes out or get a 1950X threadripper, but then most games dont use all cores. need some good advice??

thanks
Sovrinn

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,880 Posts
very few games take advantage of more than 4 threads at the moment. The 2700 is usually good for 4.2-4.3 and the out of the box clocks are better (and IPC is slightly better as well) so you'll get a bump there, but it won't be anything extreme.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
If your GPU is pegged you won't likely get anything in most games. The CPU you have should be able to pull well over 80 fps in most games.
What GPU do you have?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a new Watercooled all in one Vega64, runs very cool and im getting about 80fps on Wildlands and Doom

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
At 4k?
Doom is very easy to run so that sounds way off. With my sig rig at 1440p I get 200fps most of the time with a few things turned down...don't remember what exactly but it's the same stuff I usually leave on high or medium. I cap it at 144 fps.
A 2700 from an 1800x is more of a side grade...like going from a 4770k to a 4790k. Threadripper would probably be worse than what you have now.

Have you ever run a benchmark? What's the rest of your PC?

If you are running 4k just ignore everything I said, the CPU almost doesn't matter at all since you'll always have the GPU pegged and the CPU is sitting on it's thumb at 80 FPS (in most games anyway).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts