Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a bit curious about some of the aspects of our campus wide wireless network. I go to San Diego State University

First off, in order to connect to the network we had to go to a website and download an .exe file called RezCon once we ran that file we could connect to the network. What is the purpose of this program?

Secondly, its like every area on campus has its own network and my computer is usually able to reconnect to the "new" network when i go across campus but sometimes it takes me a few times of resetting my network adapter to get it to connect. Any idea why this is?

And lastly, when we moved in they said that if we downloaded copyrighted materials, they would shut off our internet and we would have to pay $50 to get it reconnected. How would they know what we were downloading or if it was copyrighted or not?

Thanks guys.

PS here are the instructions for getting your computer connected to this network.
http://rezcon.sdsu.edu/

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
They're probably using it to grab and register your MAC address. I bet if you use that link to register an iPhone, that you can get it to activate your computer without ever touching the software.

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by joman2055
View Post

Im a bit curious about some of the aspects of our campus wide wireless network. I go to San Diego State University

First off, in order to connect to the network we had to go to a website and download an .exe file called RezCon once we ran that file we could connect to the network. What is the purpose of this program?

The only thing I see associated with RezCon is SDSU's site, and this, which I don't think have any relation.

It prolly does numerous things, grabs the MAC Address, sets up an EAP to access the servers and other technology on campus and such.

Quote:

Secondly, its like every area on campus has its own network and my computer is usually able to reconnect to the "new" network when i go across campus but sometimes it takes me a few times of resetting my network adapter to get it to connect. Any idea why this is?

Depending on how the laptop's results in the action of shutting the lid, it could still likely have some left over information and configuration settings when it was last shut on a previous network system.

Quote:

And lastly, when we moved in they said that if we downloaded copyrighted materials, they would shut off our internet and we would have to pay $50 to get it reconnected. How would they know what we were downloading or if it was copyrighted or not?

Thanks guys.

PS here are the instructions for getting your computer connected to this network.
http://rezcon.sdsu.edu/

It is called big-brother.
Most universities have a system in place that allows them to track usage down to the IP, what data comes in and out, the protocols in use, etc. They are doing this to protect themselves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts