Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Shreddin' the Gnar
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated in the title, I have a few questions about my new i7 3770K.

CPU: i7 3770K
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO
MOBO: ASRock Z77 E6
GPU: EVGA GTX 560 Ti Classified 448 Core
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 10-10-10-27
PSU: Corsair TX750W

My idle temps seem to hover from 31-34°C (hottest core) with load temps reaching no higher than 56°C (hottest core/PlanetSide 2 on highest settings). So my temps don't really seem to be an issue, especially for a brand new CPU.

My issue is the fact that I keep getting very minor stutters and freeze-ups every so often. I'd say they occur once every 10 minutes, but that may be over-estimating. I'm not sure if they're due to the CPU still breaking itself in or if a CPU should run flawlessly off-the-bat since the last CPU I had was tested prior to me getting it.

So are these stutters/freeze-ups something I should expect to have right now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
CPUs do not need to break in. Also, for heat and stress testing, you should use something like Prime95, IBT, or OCCT; not a game.

When it stutters, are you doing something extremely CPU or GPU taxing?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
120 Posts
It's always nice to let your CPU use it's power in every way it can when you first get it.
Many people disagree, but I do not think a CPU right out of the box should be overclocked

My honest opinion is it should be used at stock settings, stress tested at stock settings, left under high load for a long period of time, and ran to its temperatures allowed.

After doing this, I feel any issue you have with the CPU you will know guaranteed it is with the overclock settings.
Not every CPU comes perfect and I strongly disagree with people who overclock right out of the wrapper

Best of luck to you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
Have you tried running memtest86?
 

·
Shreddin' the Gnar
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

CPUs do not need to break in. Also, for heat and stress testing, you should use something like Prime95, IBT, or OCCT; not a game.

When it stutters, are you doing something extremely CPU or GPU taxing?
I am going to run Prime95, I just thought I'd let it run on some normal applications before doing that, but I guess I was wrong.

And no, it can be simple web browsing, although it hasn't been doing it as much today in low-CPU usage instances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHertz View Post

It's always nice to let your CPU use it's power in every way it can when you first get it.
Many people disagree, but I do not think a CPU right out of the box should be overclocked

My honest opinion is it should be used at stock settings, stress tested at stock settings, left under high load for a long period of time, and ran to its temperatures allowed.

After doing this, I feel any issue you have with the CPU you will know guaranteed it is with the overclock settings.
Not every CPU comes perfect and I strongly disagree with people who overclock right out of the wrapper

Best of luck to you!
I haven't overclocked it yet. I hope it didn't come across that way in my OP, but it's running at stock settings. I do plan on overclocking it to 4.5GHz, but I'd like to work out the kinks first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpongle View Post

Have you tried running memtest86?
I have not. I will do that as well.
 

·
Shreddin' the Gnar
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a picture of RealTemp during the Prime95 test. It seems as though the second core is running a little hotter than every other core. Although it's about 5 degrees, could this mean anything?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,052 Posts
remount those temps seems a little high for a stock clock. give us a picture with cpuz running with prime95 and cpuz please. also use 90% of your ram in pirme95 so it will also let you know if your memory is bad without probably using memtest86.
 

·
Shreddin' the Gnar
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma7820 View Post

remount those temps seems a little high for a stock clock. give us a picture with cpuz running with prime95 and cpuz please. also use 90% of your ram in pirme95 so it will also let you know if your memory is bad without probably using memtest86.
I've been running Prime95 for an hour and a half and haven't gotten an error.

Remount my cooler to the CPU? I thought idle temps were high 20's low 30's for 3770K's...

 

·
Shreddin' the Gnar
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the problem with my idle temps...



Everything is low with the exception of the second core. Does that call for remounting? Trying to avoid remounting if possible, haha.

Edit: According to this thread, it seems as though it's not uncommon to see a temp spread like this, but I'd still like to get them all uniform.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,593 Posts
It does not, an 8*C variance is not worth mentioning.

You don't need to remount, your temps are where they should be.

Freeze-ups and stuttering shouldn't happen. Always stress test new hardware for 24 hours+ of p95 (i usually do at least 30+ to be really sure) to make sure nothing is faulty, because what you saying, is something faulty hardware does (is unstable). You could just have driver issues though.

Did your older cpu or computer stutter like this in planetside? Are you sure it's a problem, or just planetside makes everyone stutter?
 

·
Shreddin' the Gnar
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post

It does not, an 8*C variance is not worth mentioning.

You don't need to remount, your temps are where they should be.

Freeze-ups and stuttering shouldn't happen. Always stress test new hardware for 24 hours+ of p95 (i usually do at least 30+ to be really sure) to make sure nothing is faulty, because what you saying, is something faulty hardware does (is unstable). You could just have driver issues though.

Did your older cpu or computer stutter like this in planetside? Are you sure it's a problem, or just planetside makes everyone stutter?
It stuttered up until tonight. Seems to be fine after P95 run.
 

·
Shreddin' the Gnar
Joined
·
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alrighty, so I just overclocked to 4.5GHz @ 1.25V and I'm sitting with the following temps:

Idle:
-Core 1: 26°C
-Core 2: 36°C
-Core 3: 26°C
-Core 4: 29°C

Load:
-Core 1: 81°C
-Core 2: 90°C
-Core 3: 86°C
-Core 4: 80°C

I'm still not liking the different between the lowest and highest temps at idle and load; they just don't look right to me.
 

·
professional curmudgeon
Joined
·
10,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funxion View Post

Alrighty, so I just overclocked to 4.5GHz @ 1.25V and I'm sitting with the following temps:

Idle:
-Core 1: 26°C
-Core 2: 36°C
-Core 3: 26°C
-Core 4: 29°C

Load:
-Core 1: 81°C
-Core 2: 90°C
-Core 3: 86°C
-Core 4: 80°C

I'm still not liking the different between the lowest and highest temps at idle and load; they just don't look right to me.
don't worry about it:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,981 Posts
On my 3770k Core 0 is on average 7-10C higher in temps, under gaming load it is the same story. It's the sensors, even on my w3680 1 core reads much higher while another is the total opposite. Under a prime95 load the core temps even out more for me.
 

·
WCG Enthusiast
Joined
·
1,896 Posts
Normal. If you want to see temps under 80C+ you should look into optimizing that Vcore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funxion View Post

Alrighty, so I just overclocked to 4.5GHz @ 1.25V and I'm sitting with the following temps:

Idle:
-Core 1: 26°C
-Core 2: 36°C
-Core 3: 26°C
-Core 4: 29°C

Load:
-Core 1: 81°C
-Core 2: 90°C
-Core 3: 86°C
-Core 4: 80°C

I'm still not liking the different between the lowest and highest temps at idle and load; they just don't look right to me.
Yea, normal. I'm not liking mine either, I want all the cores to be the same as my first core under load but that's wishful thinking. Usually the middle cores are hotter as they are surrounded by other cores, so the story goes. As for your overall temperatures, that looks typical for an un-delidded proc on air or basic all-in-one 'water' cooler. I'm delidded on water and my spread is 8~10c still.
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

Is that a worked up vcore, lowest setting stable enough to get a Prime run started, and have you been able to get 12 hours in with no WHEAs? That's the best way to go IMO, get it stable enough to boot, and start Prime, and let it run overnight. Keep upping the vcore until you can run Prime for at least 12 hrs with no WHEA errors. If the vcore needed runs the proc too hot, either lower the multi, improve the cooling or delid. Heat is the big issue on these IVY chips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
999 Posts
Intel rates these sensors to be accurate to +/- 5C. A 10C spread from hottest to coldest is right within spec. Most if not all of the difference you are seeing is probably just sensor error. These sensors are designed to control thermal throttling and thermal shut down. They were never intended to be used for 100% accurate core temperature reporting.
 

·
Systems Engineer
Joined
·
567 Posts
Did you do a fresh install after moving to the new mobo/cpu? If not, I would highly recommend it.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top