Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a Q6600 revision G0 core temp reports a VID of 1.3250. been running prime95 blend test for 3hours 30 mins. im at stock volts of 1.325 in the bios temps at full 100% load are between 40-45 Celsius depending on the core so far no errors will keep running prime95 till morning. im at 3GHz 9x333 any idea how much farther i can push this baby my goal is 3.8-4.0 if im lucky but 3.6 will be ok cpu is cooled via the cpu cooler in this link http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/masterliquid-lite-240/

#1 how much farther do you think i can push my cpu
#2 whats the max temp i should watch out for i.e. dont go above x temps for 24/7 running of overclock

thanks for your time

edit cpu reports voltage as 1.246 incase anyone asks also ram is 4gigs OCZ PLATINUM ddr2 running at a ratio of 1:1

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
this was my first cpu been so long but 1;1 ddr ram ratio was key to oc

from memory 3.6 was a pretty golden OC and 1.5v was about the upper limit and 60°C was considered hot too

I think I ended up with 3.4Ghz 3.6 was possible but over time the chip degraded with I believe these chips were prone for.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this was my first cpu been so long but 1;1 ddr ram ratio was key to oc

from memory 3.6 was a pretty golden OC and 1.5v was about the upper limit and 60°C was considered hot too

I think I ended up with 3.4Ghz 3.6 was possible but over time the chip degraded with I believe these chips were prone for.
well im at 3GHz on the stock volts of 1.325 how high do you think i can go temps are still maxed at 45c at full load in prime95

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
you can only try but I would be happy @ 3.4Ghz

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,429 Posts
ok so i have a Q6600 revision G0 core temp reports a VID of 1.3250. been running prime95 blend test for 3hours 30 mins. im at stock volts of 1.325 in the bios temps at full 100% load are between 40-45 Celsius depending on the core so far no errors will keep running prime95 till morning. im at 3GHz 9x333 any idea how much farther i can push this baby my goal is 3.8-4.0 if im lucky but 3.6 will be ok cpu is cooled via the cpu cooler in this link http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/masterliquid-lite-240/

#1 how much farther do you think i can push my cpu
#2 whats the max temp i should watch out for i.e. dont go above x temps for 24/7 running of overclock

thanks for your time

edit cpu reports voltage as 1.246 incase anyone asks also ram is 4gigs OCZ PLATINUM ddr2 running at a ratio of 1:1
You won't go much past 3.6GHz without LN2, or an insane custom loop with tons of airflow (even that probably won't keep it under 70c). The only Core 2 Quads that were able to hit 4.0GHz on normal non exotic cooling (not LN2) were the Yorkfield's that I know of unless it was a quick suicide run. On a great loop anything over 1.5v on the Q6600 isn't a great idea, the 65nm's can't handle voltage as well as the 45nm Yorkfields can with 1.6v, just because the Q6600/Q6700's just get really hot fairly quickly, compared to Yorkfields, that's not to say it can't be done, it can just not without seriously worrying about the longevity of the CPU. Personally at the hottest I wouldn't go over 70c at any given time, but the higher your voltage the lower temp I'd aim for. For stock volts you could probably get away with running it no more than 80c for years, 1.4v I'd drop that down to 70-75c, 1.5v 65-70c and anything over that I really wouldn't go any higher than 60-65c. I know its harder to do as you increase voltage but these cpu's are incredibly heat sensitive at higher clocks from personal experience.

I have to ask what cooling are you using? If stock really 3.0-3.2GHz is as far as i'd go, an AIO probably about 3.4ish and custom loop (depending on silicon quality and degradation of it) 3.5-3.7GHz. If the IHS hasn't already been lapped i'd suggest doing it with the finest grit sandpaper you can i.e. at least 700 grit or so, until you see the copper. I say that because a lot of the IHS' on those 775 CPU's weren't even, a lot of them were slightly convex or concave and that really hindered the cooling of them. If you aren't having a hard time keeping it cool then you may have got one of the ones that doesn't need to be lapped.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You won't go much past 3.6GHz without LN2, or an insane custom loop with tons of airflow (even that probably won't keep it under 70c). The only Core 2 Quads that were able to hit 4.0GHz on normal non exotic cooling (not LN2) were the Yorkfield's that I know of unless it was a quick suicide run. On a great loop anything over 1.5v on the Q6600 isn't a great idea, the 65nm's can't handle voltage as well as the 45nm Yorkfields can with 1.6v, just because the Q6600/Q6700's just get really hot fairly quickly, compared to Yorkfields, that's not to say it can't be done, it can just not without seriously worrying about the longevity of the CPU. Personally at the hottest I wouldn't go over 70c at any given time, but the higher your voltage the lower temp I'd aim for. For stock volts you could probably get away with running it no more than 80c for years, 1.4v I'd drop that down to 70-75c, 1.5v 65-70c and anything over that I really wouldn't go any higher than 60-65c. I know its harder to do as you increase voltage but these cpu's are incredibly heat sensitive at higher clocks from personal experience.

I have to ask what cooling are you using? If stock really 3.0-3.2GHz is as far as i'd go, an AIO probably about 3.4ish and custom loop (depending on silicon quality and degradation of it) 3.5-3.7GHz. If the IHS hasn't already been lapped i'd suggest doing it with the finest grit sandpaper you can i.e. at least 700 grit or so, until you see the copper. I say that because a lot of the IHS' on those 775 CPU's weren't even, a lot of them were slightly convex or concave and that really hindered the cooling of them. If you aren't having a hard time keeping it cool then you may have got one of the ones that doesn't need to be lapped.
this is my cooler http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/masterliquid-lite-240/

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
3.6ghz is pretty much as good as you will get...

Honestly get a Xeon 771 chip and get the 771 to 775 sticker...

Then get a X5460 or X5470. I have the X5470 myself and it is one hell of a chip, the 10x multiplier makes it super simple to overclock as you never need to stress the FSB. Hitting 4.2-4.4 is not uncommon.

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,429 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why is this Q6600 in use? You should just put it away like I did with all my C2Q. Get with the times, it's 2018! Atleast get a first gen i7 like I did. LOL!
if you look at my sig you will notice the hp Z400 which is in fact an i7 pc as my main rig this rig is just for fun

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
Why is this Q6600 in use? You should just put it away like I did with all my C2Q. Get with the times, it's 2018! Atleast get a first gen i7 like I did. LOL!
Not going to lie, C2Q's still have some life in them... But I wouldn't dump a lot of money into them either...

I still have my old EVGA 790i FTW board with 8gb of DDR3 and a HD7770. It overclocks well with the Xeon X5470 I have inside it. Pretty much the best C2Q you can get. Actually looking at replacing the videocard with something better, I've had a 7950 in it before but the case I have it in now is just too small. Still does a great job playing games. I use it as a HTPC and 99% of the games run like butter. Hell even Overwatch played well when I had it at 4ghz with the 7950... the HD7770 lacks on the vram side, so that could be better. I mostly use it for racing games on the projector. It may be old but it can hold its own.

you can get a 771 xeon for cheap... And they do a much better job than a Q6600. If going for fun, i'd do that.

When I retire my 790i I'm putting it on the wall. One of the most Rare 775 boards with the best c2q made... Why sell it IMO...

Also have a EP45-UD3P, another top notch 775 board. Going to sell when I get around to it, Pretty much a board for those really wanting to push a c2q to the highest. I've already had my fun with that board. :p

Honestly Sandy Bridge and up is where it is at for gaming.

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,429 Posts
Not going to lie, C2Q's still have some life in them... But I wouldn't dump a lot of money into them either...

I still have my old EVGA 790i FTW board with 8gb of DDR3 and a HD7770. It overclocks well with the Xeon X5470 I have inside it. Pretty much the best C2Q you can get. Actually looking at replacing the videocard with something better, I've had a 7950 in it before but the case I have it in now is just too small. Still does a great job playing games. I use it as a HTPC and 99% of the games run like butter. Hell even Overwatch played well when I had it at 4ghz with the 7950... the HD7770 lacks on the vram side, so that could be better. I mostly use it for racing games on the projector. It may be old but it can hold its own.

you can get a 771 xeon for cheap... And they do a much better job than a Q6600. If going for fun, i'd do that.

When I retire my 790i I'm putting it on the wall. One of the most Rare 775 boards with the best c2q made... Why sell it IMO...

Also have a EP45-UD3P, another top notch 775 board. Going to sell when I get around to it, Pretty much a board for those really wanting to push a c2q to the highest. I've already had my fun with that board. :p

Honestly I think the best GPU you could do for 775 would be at best an R9 380(X) if you prefer team red, or a GTX 960 if you like team green.

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
Honestly I think the best GPU you could do for 775 would be at best an R9 380(X) if you prefer team red, or a GTX 960 if you like team green.
I put my r9 290 in it once, and it actually made it worse...

My 7950 was just good enough not to be too good for that CPU.

The 290 would get high framerates, but when the cpu got pegged the frames would drop a good 30frames... Not the best experience. The 7950 didn't have that problem. Pretty much why you don't toss a overly powerful GPU into a system with a old CPU.

I agree you really don't want to ever really use anything more than 7970 level of graphics with a system like this. And that is with a decent clocked C2Q with 8gb of ram... Honestly can't believe a 10yo platform still does this good.

·
Tokyo the defiler
837 Posts
if you look at my sig you will notice the hp Z400 which is in fact an i7 pc as my main rig this rig is just for fun
I'm just teasing, I still have an E8400 and 8500 and a Q9650.

I have to respectfully disagree, maybe if OC'd to 4.0+ they're still swinging on the way down but the knock out happened.

Dont get me wrong either, I absolutely love the LGA 775, I ran a UD3P (I think, I can't remember, it had raid) with 3x velociraptors and 2x 7950's. This was definitely aging beast till maybe 2013 when I picked up that Xeon i7 cheap.

I guess using one to run older games, just for the sake of having a nostalgic rig or a media machine they would work, but even then there's better choices for cheap.

TBH, I kinda want to build with a 3930k but I also want to run DDR4 next so I might hold off any build soon since everything is absolutely dumb expensive RN.

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
I'm just teasing, I still have an E8400 and 8500 and a Q9650.

I have to respectfully disagree, maybe if OC'd to 4.0+ they're still swinging on the way down but the knock out happened.

Dont get me wrong either, I absolutely love the LGA 775, I ran a UD3P (I think, I can't remember, it had raid) with 3x velociraptors and 2x 7950's. This was definitely aging beast till maybe 2013 when I picked up that Xeon i7 cheap.

I guess using one to run older games, just for the sake of having a nostalgic rig or a media machine they would work, but even then there's better choices for cheap.

TBH, I kinda want to build with a 3930k but I also want to run DDR4 next so I might hold off any build soon since everything is absolutely dumb expensive RN.
I went from a Q9550 @4.25ghz to a I7 920 @ 4.2ghz to my current 2600K @ 4.8ghz that just doesn't want me to stop using it.

There was a noticeable bump in game performance for each jump. Honestly even the first gen i5/i7 chips are getting long in the tooth and already bottleneck even a 1070... Single thread Performance just isn't there even at 4.2ghz. Sandy Bridge brought in a massive jump in IPC and much higher overclocks, everything since then has been baby steps. Pretty much why a 4.8ghz 2600K still does as well as it does today. The 6 Core Xeons do help the x58 platform, but the aged IPC and low clock speeds do limit what you can do with modern GPU's. I would argue anything higher than a 1070 would negatively effect performance for any CPU bound game.

A C2Q still can manage pretty much any E-Sport Title without a problem given that it is running at a high speed and with plenty of RAM. But running anything more powerful than a GTX1050 would be stupid. Also a good board and quick RAM on a C2Q can make a big difference in terms of frame stability. The biggest reason I'm not keeping my UD3P-EP45 is that I only have 4gb of high performance DDR2, and the 8GB of DDR2 I do have is low quality 1066mhz stuff. Games are not not smooth on that platform... While the same chip and same overclock on my 790i with 8gb of decent ddr3 don't drop frames or stutter. Much smoother experience. And Smoothness is key.

The C2Q's are EoL for sure. No point to really be using one unless you happen to already have the hardware, and then if you still happen to have the higher end hardware... Otherwise it is simply too old. You really have to push the platform for smooth performance, but it can still be done...

First Gen i7's on x58 can still play games nice and smooth with some pretty beefy GPU's, but they also are going the way of the C2Q... But they no doubt still have a few good years left IMO. X58 is expensive to get into and again only good for people that have the equipment.

A Used Sandy 2600k is still best bang for your buck when looking at used gear. But with the price of Ryzen at the low end, hard not to go for that on a budget.

I'm in no rush to upgrade, but will in the next year or so. Sandy will go on to be the chip that doesn't die, when it hits 10yo unlike the C2Q Sandy will still be up to the task. Mark my words. :p

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,429 Posts
Honestly I think Vulkan will prolong the life of C2Q’s and possibly DX12 will too, just because it shifts more load to the GPU instead of the CPU doing most of the work. Yeah, it won’t make AAA games run at max settings 1080P 144hz or anything, but you can still probably expect console level visuals which imo are still perfectly acceptable. The problem lies with DDR2 and being limited to 8GB, yes some of the boards do take DDR3 but you are still limited to 8GB of RAM max.

For an example, my wife has a 4690K with 8GB of RAM and Windows 10, firefox alone after a while will be eating up about 80% of the remaining RAM that Windows 10 isn’t using. To play a game she has to restart her computer in order to keep the FPS from dropping into the teens. But yeah for a lit of Esports titles as said above would be playable, and i’m sure BF1 can be played at acceptable fps levels.

The other issue is 1% and 0.1% lows, that can drop into the single digits at times. Honestly I would still recommend a Q9650 or better from the Core 2 Quads over a Bulldozer CPU just because the IPC is a tad bit better, even though it may not clock even close to an FX CPU, but overall I think the Core 2 architecture is just better than Bulldozer, Vishera, Piledriver etc.

Now I really wouldn’t spend more than about $50 on a top end Core 2 Quad for the sheer fact that even low end Ryzen or a 1151 Pentium will still perform Circles around a Yorkfield Quad. However if you do have a limited budget and don’t plan to max any AAA games out, a Yorkfield will probably be goid for another 5 years without being completely unusable. But remember you’ll get a more pleasent experience from a newer platform.

If you plan to play a lot of DX11 titles you should go with an Nvidia card no higher than the 1060 3GB (even then the C2Q will still bottleneck the heck and a half out of it) or if you plan to play DX12/Vulkan titles the go with an RX 570/580.

·
Nvidia "shill"
1,429 Posts
I say join the modern world at least z270 and is dope. work out some of the cobwebs in the bioses and would even be more solid.
It's worth it some of the better boards can damn near undervolt all the way to 5ghz...the ftw k could run 4.8ghz at like only 1.23v why I said dope chip dude..look for that Monoprice seller on the bay..some dope batches.

Gonna have to deal with Non-soldered on 300-400$ chips though now days...I don't like it but can be helped out and work fine though.
Cost saving approach but at same time a tim degrades will need to be changed....

Send them to me and I'll fix the Bull**** and send it back to ya.
Yeah but you got to figure the newer higher end chips aren’t cheap, sure its a lot better buy but if you don’t play demanding stuff then an old Yorkie will do just fine.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Sorry but you are wrong !

I came from one [email protected] and then [email protected] w/ 4GB [email protected] ! Both CPU´s where a SEVERE bottleneck to my old GTX260 SLI and later the R9 280X 3GB!

Once i upgraded to my FX-8350, even stock, my frame rates (low and high) increase a LOT ! And a mean a LOT ! Games run much, much better !

With the old 775 arch my R9 280X GPU had usage drops to 70, even 60% during massive CPU intense games. Crysis 3 was a good example !

You cannot compare game performance! C2D and C2Q are way inferior to FX !

The FX is years ahead, can handle a GTX1060 6GB @ 1080p easy! I know because i have this setup. I play BF1, DOOM, FARCRY 4, Wolfeinstein series, all with excelent performance. I do have a Samsung 32pol LED 60hz FULL HD monitor.

Even ST performance the FX is ahead, multicore performance is another league!

Also this post is NOT a FX recommendation !

I´m been there, i know the diference!

See ya !

Honestly I would still recommend a Q9650 or better from the Core 2 Quads over a Bulldozer CPU just because the IPC is a tad bit better, even though it may not clock even close to an FX CPU, but overall I think the Core 2 architecture is just better than Bulldozer, Vishera, Piledriver etc.

·
Mad Man with a box
435 Posts
I think someone confused first Intel Quad Core with first AMD Quad Core...

You won't go much past 3.6GHz without LN2, or an insane custom loop with tons of airflow (even that probably won't keep it under 70c). On a great loop anything over 1.5v on the Q6600 isn't a great idea, the 65nm's can't handle voltage as well as the 45nm Yorkfields can with 1.6v, just because the Q6600/Q6700's just get really hot fairly quickly, compared to Yorkfields, that's not to say it can't be done, it can just not without seriously worrying about the longevity of the CPU.

I have to ask what cooling are you using? If stock really 3.0-3.2GHz is as far as i'd go, an AIO probably about 3.4ish and custom loop (depending on silicon quality and degradation of it) 3.5-3.7GHz.
Where/how do i even start with this one... wow.
1) 65nm > 45nm for longevity on high Vcore. You can't kill Q6600 with 1,6V Voltage on great air cooling. Degredation for it will be a LOT lower than any 45nm CPU as well.

2) Bolded part : No they can't, according to official specs.
Q9xx0/QX9xx0 series CPUs can work with max. Vcore of 1,45V (Source :
LINK)
Q6xx0/QX6xx0 series CPUs can work up to 1,55V Vcore (Source : LINK)

3) 3,6GHz limit :

4) Also that "you won't go past 3,6GHz on LN2" :

I used air cooling for results above ;)

Have a nice day.

PS. While measuring Core temps for ma any Core 2 Quad, you must remember to adjust Tj. Max. setting in diagnostic program you use.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,517 Posts
Set voltage to 1.45.
Set multiplier to 9x400
Work down voltage from there until at lowest possible while still stable.

Max safe temp is considered about 75c

Max safe voltage is 1.5 according to intel so don't worry too much about voltage.

The guy who said don't go above 60 is thinking of AMD cpus and is dead wrong here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts