Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a solution for a friend that runs their own photography studio. They are complaining of the computer being slow when running Photoshop. The pc has an ASUS M5A88-M MB with Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 4250 GPU. It also has 1 stick of Mushkin 4GB PC3-10666 memory. I am not familiar with how system intensive Photoshop software can be as I have no experience with either but I do build pc's and would think that a better GPU would be required? Could someone enlighten me? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
you need lots of system memory to edit pictures, I have 24 gigs but after I edit 10 pictures my photo editing software warns me that I need to save those 10 pictures as I am running out of memory. a better graphics card would also help your friend along with a IPS monitor which I also use as it gives true color display of your photos which is a must if your going to edit photos correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

you need lots of system memory to edit pictures, I have 24 gigs but after I edit 10 pictures my photo editing software warns me that I need to save those 10 pictures as I am running out of memory. a better graphics card would also help your friend along with a IPS monitor which I also use as it gives true color display of your photos which is a must if your going to edit photos correctly.
Thank you for the speedy response. So the first thing would be to upgrade the memory. Do you feel the video upgrade is a must?

Looks like this motherboard only supports a max of 16GB do you think that would make a drastic difference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswerve View Post

Thank you for the speedy response. So the first thing would be to upgrade the memory. Do you feel the video upgrade is a must?

Looks like this motherboard only supports a max of 16GB do you think that would make a drastic difference?
yes 16gb would make a big difference, the use of memory for photo editing also depends on how large of a file the camera creates for the picture.
my Canon dslr makes large picture files due to the settings I use on my camera and because it is a pro series dslr, and yes I really think a new gpu would help. I don't know much about AMD cpu's or their gpu's but I do know that integrated graphics is never the best choice.
I am sure you know this but make sure they have a 64bit operating system that will accept and use the 16gb of memory.
I run Corel Photo Shop Pro, if you needed to know..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
I forgot to mention that while you edit photos they are stored in your system memory until you save them. this is why their system is running slow with 4 gig of system memory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

I forgot to mention that while you edit photos they are stored in your system memory until you save them. this is why their system is running slow with 4 gig of system memory.
Makes sense and I am sure she is using a very high resolution. I agree 100% integrated graphics never a good thing. What would be a solid card that won't be overkill?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswerve View Post

Makes sense and I am sure she is using a very high resolution. I agree 100% integrated graphics never a good thing. What would be a solid card that won't be overkill?
it sounds like she is not a big gamer the linked gpu would work good, and will also play a few newer games if need be and the cost is low and it
doesn't need a power cable from the power supply.
don't forget a good IPS (in plane switching) monitor, I got a nice LG 27inch on sale at new egg for 200 bucks.
here is a link to the graphics card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487027
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

it sounds like she is not a big gamer the linked gpu would work good, and will also play a few newer games if need be and the cost is low and it
doesn't need a power cable from the power supply.
don't forget a good IPS (in plane switching) monitor, I got a nice LG 27inch on sale at new egg for 200 bucks.
here is a link to the graphics card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487027
No games it's for photoshop and Lightroom software. Thanks for the info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Eskimo View Post

If you're using photoshop then a nvidia gpu is what you want because adobe applications utilise CUDA cores.
I did not know that, thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:hybrid:. View Post

Photoshop CS6 uses OpenCL, not CUDA. What version do they use?
I sent her a message, I am not sure I will post when she answers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She's running Photoshop 4 currently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:hybrid:. View Post

Photoshop CS6 uses OpenCL, not CUDA. What version do they use?
Can you explain what this will mean if I install an Nvidia card and she upgrades to 6 later?
 

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
Joined
·
6,245 Posts
memory is needed most but also a good gpu and also an ssd is a good option you dont need a massive ssd if just using as a scratch disc
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswerve View Post

Can you explain what this will mean if I install an Nvidia card and she upgrades to 6 later?
no worries Nvidia gpu's supports both openCL and cuda.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlay View Post

memory is needed most but also a good gpu and also an ssd is a good option you dont need a massive ssd if just using as a scratch disc
smile.gif
+1 on this.

I forgot to mention that I have 2 ssd's and 2 hdd's, one ssd is operating system the other ssd is my photo editing software and pictures, my 2 hdd's are picture storage and backup and my games.
then I have a external hdd to backup everything. I also backup my pictures on DVD and put in a fire proof safe. some say I'm weird for the DVD backup but I would hate to lose my pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlay View Post

memory is needed most but also a good gpu and also an ssd is a good option you dont need a massive ssd if just using as a scratch disc
smile.gif
I've already talked to her about upgrading to SSD for all OS installs in the future. For this particular build I am going to go with a mild video card upgrade and put the max allotted RAM in which is 16GB in this case. Thank you all for the great advice.

Does anyone have knowledge about Lightroom software? She uses that frequently as well not sure if it has any particular requirements?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswerve View Post

I've already talked to her about upgrading to SSD for all OS installs in the future. For this particular build I am going to go with a mild video card upgrade and put the max allotted RAM in which is 16GB in this case. Thank you all for the great advice.

Does anyone have knowledge about Lightroom software? She uses that frequently as well not sure if it has any particular requirements?
which version of Lightroom?
are you going with the GTX 750 as I suggested? I think for the money and what her system is for it is a good choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

which version of Lightroom?
are you going with the GTX 750 as I suggested? I think for the money and what her system is for it is a good choice.
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

which version of Lightroom?
are you going with the GTX 750 as I suggested? I think for the money and what her system is for it is a good choice.
Lightroom 5 and yes that card will work.
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top