Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a few questions regarding the use of an SLI set up with the addition of a third card for playing with PhysX.
I already found the thread on PhysX & no I didn't see what I was looking for.So, I hope some of you guys have some fact based answers regarding the use of PhysX.

Many thanks in advance.. ;-)

(1) I have read where you need to have the dedicated PhysX card with at least 96 Stream Processors. True or false? If so, how have you come across this information..? { please don't say somebody told you }

(2) Say you already have an SLI system going.So, you just insert this extra card into an available PCI-E slot.Boot up & go into NVCP and then you will find that new card listed..? It's that simple..?
Or, do you need to uninstall/reinstall the drivers after the third card is in..?

(3) I have read that you DO NOT connect the card your going to use for PhysX to your other 2 cards that are running in SLI.
My question being,how does this third card communicate with the other 2..? Would it be through the PCI-E bus..?

I hopeing that someone with real practicle knowledge can give me some fact based answers.
I'm a long time ( 12 yrs ) PC builder.This is a new game rig that I like to experiment with.
Some say the whole PhysX thing is a sham.I have the time so I just wanted to check it out for giggles... :)

Thanks again for any & all help regarding the subject.

nis

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
I would agree with the Sham of Physx

For now its pointless unless you just really want Batman to have some Extra paper flying around (they say Physx but everything is pre-determined and calculated anyway, they just add mroe stuff to process on the Physx Card instead of making a World that utilizes Physx properly).

I knwo that I can use my 8800GTS 640 MB as dedicated Physx card flawlessly, so I don tknow about the 96sp rule there.

Otherwise, thats the imput I have for you =/

I still not even sold on SLI..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, 45 looks & only one post. With not a single question answered. Bummer, I really thought I could find some answers on this forum. :-(

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:
Which NVIDIA GeForce GPUs support PhysX?
GeForce 8-series GPUs and later (with a minimum of 32 cores and a minimum of 256MB dedicated graphics memory) support PhysX.
PhysX FAQ at Nvidia

1. False as far as I can tell. ^^

Quote:
How does PhysX work with SLI and multi-GPU configurations?
When two, three, or four matched GPUs are working in SLI, PhysX runs on one GPU, while graphics rendering runs on all GPUs. The NVIDIA drivers optimize the available resources across all GPUs to balance PhysX computation and graphics rendering. Therefore users can expect much higher frame rates and a better overall experience with SLI.

A new configuration that's now possible with PhysX is 2 non-matched (heterogeneous) GPUs. In this configuration, one GPU renders graphics (typically the more powerful GPU) while the second GPU is completely dedicated to PhysX. By offloading PhysX to a dedicated GPU, users will experience smoother gaming.

Finally we can put the above two configurations all into 1 PC! This would be SLI plus a dedicated PhysX GPU. Similarly to the 2 heterogeneous GPU case, graphics rendering takes place in the GPUs now connected in SLI while the non-matched GPU is dedicated to PhysX computation.
PhysX FAQ at Nvidia

2. ^^ This should answer your questions ^^

3. ^^ Answered in #2, also look through the FAQ !!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heh heh,

I guess all it took was for me to reply to my own post... ;-)
Thanks for the info guys.
It looks like my questions have been answered for the most part.As I mentioned. I did look ( and found ) a section on PhysX. But, it didn't really address my specific questions.

Many thanks again.

I'll have to try the Nvidia website again.

nis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.