Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know theres free software called AviSplit that will join multiple AVI files into a single file, and I have started to use this to join some of a clients video clips.

Let me give a bit of background. I captured a TON of DV for this guy who wanted each of the segments of the tape as separate AVI files. The final folder was a folder with filenames like this:

{SESSION NAME}-{TAPE NUMBER}-{CLIP NUMBER}.avi

The files are all in one folder now, and there are from 67 sessions, 4-5 tapes per session, and approximately 45-60 clips per tape. The folder contains 15355 video clips.

Ridiculous right? I'm not even sure why he wanted them split in the first place.

Now, I spent a LONG time cutting these up and batch encoding them in Premiere with the Xvid video format. Months. And since I didnt have room to keep the uncompressed DV around, there's really no easy way to re-encode.

Going through and manually joining each one with AviSplit is going to take forever.

What i would like is a program that can automatically add the clips based on rules or some kind of adaptive import that will import based on a certain trigger. For example, remember xbox media center? if you had a 2 part AVI, and they were named similarly but had a Part 1 and a Part 2, it would load those up automatically into a playlist and play them successively? I want something like that, but that will add them to a batch join. KMPlayer already kinda does this. But it cant join avis.

If anyone has any idea of what I am talking about, please let me know. I will gladly pay for the software considering it will save me weeks, if not months, of work in recombining this nightmare. But free works too, considering I am poor now.

I already tried doing a binary join using cygwin (allows linux commands on windows) and perl pipes, setting up a couple of shell scripts... looked promising, the resulting AVIs were the correct size but only the first clip was there, everything else was black.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
did you try virtualdub?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJZeratul View Post
is there a way to write a script for it to do what i need it to do?
I know you can run scripts in virtualdub but its not anything I would know how to do. I would try asking over at Doom9 forums for some help. The only person at OCN that might be able to help is Coma.

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
When you use the "Append AVI segment" option in Virtualdub, it will automatically append other segments if it sees a pattern.
e.g. if you have 01.avi to 09.avi - you open 01.avi, append 02.avi, and 03.avi to 09.avi are automatically appended.

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coma View Post
When you use the "Append AVI segment" option in Virtualdub, it will automatically append other segments if it sees a pattern.
e.g. if you have 01.avi to 09.avi - you open 01.avi, append 02.avi, and 03.avi to 09.avi are automatically appended.
DUDE YES! This is exactly what I needed. Now, is there a way to have a script go through the folder and automatically add the separate tapes or will i still have to go in and do each section/tape automatically?

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
I don't think it can do that. You can write a small program to use Vdub through commandline if you really want to, but it'll probably just be faster to do it manually, although more boring...

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coma View Post
I don't think it can do that. You can write a small program to use Vdub through commandline if you really want to, but it'll probably just be faster to do it manually, although more boring...
Well, this at least saves me from having to do each of the clips manually... thats going to cut the time by at least 1/3

Thanks man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts