Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a quick search it seems that there is no separate thread to discuss quick disconnects. There is few that have been used to discuss some specific company or some specific disconnect.

I'll start with a short overview of the only disconnect I own. Phobya quick release connector kit 10/8mm with bulkhead thread - black nickel. http://www.aquatuning.de/water-cooling/fittings/quick-release-fittings/5782/phobya-schnellverschluss-set-10/8mm-schott-black-nickel
The quick disconnect has been reviewed here: http://www.xtremerigs.net/2013/07/02/2013-quick-disconnect-roundup/

(+) Cheap
(+) Compact(ish) in diameter
(+) Insensitive towards flow direction
(+) When disconnecting the water loss is very low (1-2 drops at most)

(-) Very restrictive
(-) Way too long to be comfortable in bulkhead mode.

At the end of a day it works, when you connect the sides then the metal pin in the female part pushes in the stopper in the male part, so regardless of which way to flow goes through it it wont close on you at extremely high flow rates like only spring based designs might. However, that hole in the male part is only 3 mm in diamater and then there is this central pin and so on in it. So basically the whole flow of your loop will have to pass through few millimeter hole about 50 mm in length. Only thing more restrictive you can find in your loop are the blocks probably. So in essence using these in your loop is like adding couple low to medium restriction GPU blocks into it. I have used it with two DC-LT very small pumps so even with rather weak pumps the loop will work with these in it. Unless the space is really really premium then I suspect there is better disconnects for only few EUR more but I cant comment from personal experience as these are the only ones I have used.

There is two pictures how I used these. Clearly I did not make use the bulkhead function. The bulkhead part is with the female part and it will stick approx 40 ... 50 mm out from the wall when used in bulkhead mode. The male part would then plug into it adding another ~50 mm to the length. Release function is by pulling back the round part on the female part by approx 5 mm and it then releases the male part. For connection you just plug in the male part and the round thing on female part will click and lock it in place.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Colder Products makes some very nice 3/4", high flow, no leak quick disconnects, threaded, barbs, or panel mount.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

Colder Products makes some very nice 3/4", high flow, no leak quick disconnects, threaded, barbs, or panel mount.
Good to know. If you have a link to the product and/or its reviews that would be awesome as well. Or if you happen to have one at hand then even doing a short photo session with one and listing some relevant measurements that would be excellent as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts