Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body use disconnects anywhere in their loop?

I have an external quad rad mounted on my side panel. It's not a huge problem to not have regular access to that side, but it would save some minor headaches to be able to quick-disconnect the rad for easy panel removal.

Do these things really work?
Are they massively restrictive?

I'm looking for info on the fittings, not the company that makes them. Though feel free to flame the company to your heart's content if you know an alternative manufacturer of such a product that supplies Stateside.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k View Post
Those are going to be really restrictive. I'd use these high flow if I was going to use any.High-Flow Quick Disconnect Couplings by Colder
Say Ira, have you ever looked at lengthening those little "nubs" that hold the valve open? ..to get higher flow rates.
LL

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post
Say Ira, have you ever looked at lengthening those little "nubs" that hold the valve open? ..to get higher flow rates.
No I've never used them much, I bought a set for 1/2" tube once, for a side loop, and ended up only using it for a couple of weeks.

Have you tried it?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

No I've never used them much, I bought a set for 1/2" tube once, for a side loop, and ended up only using it for a couple of weeks.

Have you tried it?
No, never tried.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Quote:

Those are going to be really restrictive. I'd use these high flow if I was going to use any.High-Flow Quick Disconnect Couplings by Colder
Hey ira-k
You said the Koolance QD's were gonna' be highly restrictive. Is this because of the pressure threaded type connection?
The reason I ask is I've got a set of 3/8" inch Koolance threaded bulkhead fittings on my 2x 24/7 Q6600 DCing boxen, but they are the barbed type.

On one machine the low TDP eVGA 8800GS has a MCW60-R WB and the temps are about 1c to 2c degrees higher than the other Q6600 boxen with a eVGA 9600GSO (96) with a third party AC'er (water temp, air temp the GPU temp is about 11c to 15c degrees higher). These temps are taken from external containers sitting on my window sill and depending on how cold it is outside the temps have been very low ie ATM my GPU, according to Precision, is 22c degrees and my CPU, according to a calibrated RealTem program, is 12, 15, 15, 12, According to an indoor/outdoor thermometer in the outside leading duct it's 8c (43F) and according to another indoor/outdoor thermometer my ambient temp is about 18c (68F)

These temps were taken with the boxen using the [email protected] GPU2 client on core #3. I usually have the WCG clients locked to the rest of the cores. about 3c to 4c rise in CPU temps with the WCG clients

DCing for the CURE

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:
No, never tried.
If I can find mine I might have to play with them, its been a while since I've seen them though.

Quote:
Hey ira-k
You said the Koolance QD's were gonna' be highly restrictive. Is this because of the pressure threaded type connection?
The reason I ask is I've got a set of 3/8" inch Koolance threaded bulkhead fittings on my 2x 24/7 Q6600 DCing boxen, but they are the barbed type.
Are those actually a 5/8" ID straight shot all the way through it? I just don't believe any of there claims, its probably more like a 1/4" ID.

I'm a flow freak to, if I was going to use any I'd use those nice Coulder in 5/8 or 3/4" with 1/2" tube, that should minimize flow loss.

Really if you can get by without them you would be better off. Keep fittings and tubing length to a minimum, thats just a general rule, if you have a real reason for extra tubing length or fittings its not going to hurt you that much, as long as you keep it in reason.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nafljhy View Post
those quick disconnects are massively restrictive i was using them for awhile in my loop. i tested with and w/o them... quite a big difference. i forget what my results were though. i know its in one of my threads..

Oh Yeah, Its really noticeable isn't it, I could even tell a difference using those Colder hi flow with 1/2" barbs and I bet they are a lot less restrictive then those things.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Quote:

Oh Yeah, Its really noticeable isn't it, I could even tell a difference using those Colder hi flow with 1/2" barbs and I bet they are a lot less restrictive then those things.
oh yea, it definitely is noticeable. very much so.
just by looks the Colder QDC is less restrictive. let me look for a results...

·
Banned
11 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nafljhy
View Post

oh yea, it definitely is noticeable. very much so.
just by looks the Colder QDC is less restrictive. let me look for a results...

pls do find it..i was looking at threads started by you..i can't find it

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Ouch. Is that for 2 full sets, male/female x 2?

EDIT: I think Martin tried some of the 5/8" or 3/4" Colder with 7/16" tube and they weren't very restrictive at all. I'll see if I can find it.

I might be thinking about copper fittings to, its been a couple of years.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k
View Post

Ouch. Is that for 2 full sets, male/female x 2?

EDIT: I think Martin tried some of the 5/8" or 3/4" Colder with 7/16" tube and they weren't very restrictive at all. I'll see if I can find it.

I might be thinking about copper fittings to, its been a couple of years.

that was for 2 sets.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nafljhy View Post
that was for 2 sets.

Man what were you building..
..Thats the best way to do it, now you know for yourself.

I've always been tempted to use them, there just cool you know, and convenient to, but I cant get over the restriction any of them will have, I used them for a couple of weeks and couldn't take it anymore. A good drain--line is all you need and that just takes 1 T to make.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Not sure if this is considered thread hijacking or not but I have a quick question.

I am building a water cooling system for a laptop and need the lines going from the radiator to the laptop to be easily disconnected. Would using QDCs be alright since they're kinda required for this design?

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k
View Post

Man what were you building..
..Thats the best way to do it, now you know for yourself.

I've always been tempted to use them, there just cool you know, and convenient to, but I cant get over the restriction any of them will have, I used them for a couple of weeks and couldn't take it anymore. A good drain--line is all you need and that just takes 1 T to make.

haha.. i was doing it for my test bench but then i got sick of the restriction and just scrapped that whole idea.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
There just so neat though. If I ever find them again I should do a NB loop with them and a D-5 vario, I'll still have plenty of flow that way..

Hey I have a modded Corsair Nautilus with a BI rad in it, that thing has the Colder on it to, I forgot about that. I've got a DD NB block, I think I'll set that up.

billbartuska has me wanting to play with them now and try to bump up flow a little with them, I need to dig that thing out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts