Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just making a quick thread to link to as a quickie guide on how to OC a Fermi card:

OCing your Fermi video card:

Try OCing to 850Mhz with 1.087 Voltage with MSI Afterburner
If that fails then you'll need to unlock the card's max voltage to 1.21V in the bios:
  • - Use GPU-Z to grab the bios from the card and rename the extension .bin to .rom (click the icon to the right of BIOS version)
  • - Use Nibitor to open the file and increase the max voltage up to 1.212V. (Tools > Fermi Voltage)
  • - Flash new BIOS with NVFlash 5.95 in Windows
  • - In MSI Afterburner: try 1.1V/1.13/1.15/etc in incriments while testing with Kombuster{click the K in the top left in Afterburner) or Furmark(will heat your card up to 90-100C easily) or Unigine Heaven 2.1(Easy gaming test that stresses all aspects of the card)
  • - If you start to see artifacts at any point, try reducing the frequency by 10MHz and trying again. Depending on how many volts and temperatures you're already at you might need to increase voltage instead. Anything below 90C is perfectly fine although some people prefer 60-70C or less. Furmark will of course heat your card up unnaturally so test the temps in Unigine Heaven or 3DMark Vantage. (104C is the thermal shutdown on 460s)

Good luck! I can get my 460s stable at 920/2150 1.16V.

Quote:

Flashing with NVFlash 5.95:
nvflash -r
let that finish
nvflash -6 modbios.rom
let that finish
nvflash -w
let that finish
nvflash -y
and that would reboot your computer.

INFO:
-r unlocks it
-6 flashes it
-w locks it
-y reboots

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet
View Post

Atlernative Flashing Method

1. Download Galaxy Xtreme Tuner HD Here

2. Once your card's been detected, click on the Magic BIOS tab. Agree with the prompt boxes.

3. Select the modded BIOS, and let the utility do its business. You will hear beeps during the process.

4. Reboot, and enjoy!

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyMission
View Post

by doing this can you preset the max clocks for mem and core/shader higher too?

I prefer using MSI afterburner's profile setup for a 2D(non-gaming) and 3D voltage settings automatically:

But, yes you can but you won't be able to go back to the card's manufacturer defaults by hitting reset in MSI Afterburner. it will go to the updated BIOS' default settings.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofyo1
View Post

Weird.. while trying furmark after overvolting to 1.15, got lockup. upon forced reboot, my voltage dropped back to max of 1087.. How is this possible? and how should I go about fixing it, reflash and reboot?

If you click settings in MSI Afterburner, make sure "unlock voltage control" and "unlock voltage monitoring" are checked. If you still can't go above 1.087, try viewing the current bios with Nibitor again. Confirm if the max voltage is still 1.212V. If not, then yeah, you'll need to reflash.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

View Post

Ive tried reflashing but if I put say 1.1v to it on an unstable Oc, it drops back to 1087mv upon restarting as Max voltage

Can you try rebooting after a flash and confirming that the bios on the card is still unlocked to 1.212V? Maybe the flash isn't sticking.

·
Waiting on New Hardware
4,478 Posts

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I'm still having second thoughts about flashing my 460. Yeah as some stated this is not for a noob to tinker with, especially as the cost of screwing it up is a lot. What benefits are there anyway with upping the voltage? Higher clock speeds, thus higher performance?

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofyo1;11899686
exactly. and if you're a folder, that means higher ppd as well
smile.gif
I've got mine up to 950 core right now, on stock air. Here's my gpu-z
Whats you PPD with that OC?? Kinda regretting getting the 1Gb when it comes to folding, but it will come in handy when I get a new monitor.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Quote:

View Post

exactly. and if you're a folder, that means higher ppd as well
I've got mine up to 950 core right now, on stock air. Here's my gpu-z

So, is it okay for me to try flashing my card (same as yours - Galaxy 460 768mb) without any problems? I fear the temperature increase and I'm only on stock cooling plus a 120mm fan on the side panel. And if things go wrong, can I revert to stock?

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Okay, I got mine working.

BETTER FLASHING METHOD!!!

2. Once your card's been detected, click on the Magic BIOS tab. Agree with the prompt boxes.

3. Select the modded BIOS, and let the utility do its business. You will hear beeps during the process.

4. Reboot, and enjoy!

Hope this helps. IMO this is a much more intuitive tool especially for new overclockers who want more juice for their GTX 460 cards.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet
View Post

4. Reboot, and enjoy!

Hope this helps. IMO this is a much more intuitive tool especially for new overclockers who want more juice for their GTX 460 cards.

work for EVGA cards?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsoviet;11918285

4. Reboot, and enjoy!

biggrin.gif
Dosnt seem to be working for me, maybe I'm doing some thing wrong
MSi N460GTX twinfrozr II, 768MB. Currently OCed to 900/1800/1900 with factory BIOS.

Downloaded and installed... run.. Card is displayed at the top, click magic bios. Popup appears "this operation may blaa blaa blaa"... Click "ok"... Opens "Computer> Local Disc (C:)> Program Files> XtremeTuner HD

There are 2 files in there "Profile" and "sound" both of witch are empty, the options for files to open are .rom and .nvr, how ever neither file type is in there.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE

Fixed it. needed to unclock and restart.

voltages still revert back to 1087 even with the updated bios
frown.gif

*EDIT because I'm a moron!
works great! Adjust in nibitor, flash with xtreme... works great, quick and easy, provided your not a moron like me
biggrin.gif

1 - 20 of 27 Posts