Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering, could an X6 fold bigadv WU's along side a gtx 580?

I ask because I could have swore I saw a guide or something that said you could on an X6, but it never said anything about folding with a 580.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
46,121 Posts
You'd need a pretty good OC... what are you at now?

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't actually have a thuban right now, I was just seeing what I could get if I wanted a thuban chip.

And is it possible to do it with gpu tracker? or do you need 8 threads for that?

·
Premium Member
46,121 Posts
I think the method should still work; you'd be running GPU Tracker through WINE, and it uses the Stanford clients (it just manages them), so I don't see why not.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodac;11939028
I think the method should still work; you'd be running GPU Tracker through WINE, and it uses the Stanford clients (it just manages them), so I don't see why not.
Well, on my unlocked quad, the bigadv check box is grayed out, so I can't select it. Would it be available on a thuban?

·
Premium Member
46,121 Posts
Are you using the Linux WINE method? Or just running native Windows?

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zodac
View Post

Are you using the Linux WINE method? Or just running native Windows?

I'm using windows, and i'm using the gpu tracker program, which sets up everything for you and has a config section where you can easily configure your settings.

I tried setting up the smp manually once, and got totally lost, so this gpu tracker works out much better for me.

·
Premium Member
46,121 Posts
Yeah, but a -bigadv requires 8 threads. Using the Linux/WINE method, it fakes extra cores, so when you enter WINE, any client you install (be it the client itself, or the tracker) will see 8 threads.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zodac
View Post

Yeah, but a -bigadv requires 8 threads. Using the Linux/WINE method, it fakes extra cores, so when you enter WINE, any client you install (be it the client itself, or the tracker) will see 8 threads.

Is there a guide to doing this? I might just grab a thuban instead of waiting forever for bulldozer.

·
Premium Member
46,121 Posts

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
lol i'm dumb.

Thanks! I'm not completely sure what I want to do yet. Might just still go for bulldozer, it would probably be easier and give more ppd, and i'm okay with my 720 for now.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemoth777
View Post

lol i'm dumb.

Thanks! I'm not completely sure what I want to do yet. Might just still go for bulldozer, it would probably be easier and give more ppd, and i'm okay with my 720 for now.

Get an X6 now, wait for Bulldozer to come. Once it does, get an AM3+ motherboard and stick with your X6 chip until newer revisions of the Bulldozer chips are out and prices drop a bit.

That's what I'm planning to do at least.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
^ that's what i would do

x6 would be a nice upgrade over x3, especially for folding & adding gtx580

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth777;11939311
Well, on my unlocked quad, the bigadv check box is grayed out, so I can't select it. Would it be available on a thuban?
Nope, not on my 1090T.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts