Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my HX650 recently broke and while corsair Hong Kong is going to replace it, I have to personally shell out cash to get it shipped to HK, and wait a few weeks for them to ship it back to me.

My dilemma is that, for the money I'll be spending on the shipping(about 70bucks), I can grab an Antec EA650 Platinum psu. What do you guys think? Should I have my HX650 rma'ed and have to deal with the uncertainty of the replacement arriving here in one piece, or would the EA650 be a better alternative in this situation instead?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Is this for your sig rig named Medschool Rig? If so, then you don't need anything 'bigger' than a good (quality-made) 400W PSU.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Is this for your sig rig named Medschool Rig? If so, then you don't need anything 'bigger' than a good (quality-made) 400W PSU.
yeah man, im aware that this system prolly doesnt go past 350 watts at full consumption, but i feel like its such a waste to just leave my broken hx650 to rot, which brings up the dilemma of the money being spent for its RMA be spent for something "sure" over here instead.
smile.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade616 View Post

yeah man, im aware that this system prolly doesnt go past 350 watts at full consumption, but i feel like its such a waste to just leave my broken hx650 to rot, which brings up the dilemma of the money being spent for its RMA be spent for something "sure" over here instead.
smile.gif
I would rather buy new than run the risk of getting back a PSU that wasn't really fixed. Plus, then you won't have any downtime.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah ill probably just do that. so, whats OCN's take on the EA platinum from antec? the 650watt doesnt cost much more than the 450, si i might as well get that one as it should run more quietly at the same load

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:

yeah ill probably just do that. so, whats OCN's take on the EA platinum from antec? the 650watt doesnt cost much more than the 450, si i might as well get that one as it should run more quietly at the same load
It's fine, but what other choices do you have available to you? I mean, damn: what if you could get a very nice modular PSU for that price?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the two next best choices based on efficiency that I can get at this price point would probably be the Seasonic X460 or the CM V750S. should i sacrifice the platinum efficiency of the antec EA for gold+modular?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:

the two next best choices based on efficiency that I can get at this price point would probably be the Seasonic X460 or the CM V750S. should i sacrifice the platinum efficiency of the antec EA for gold+modular?
The difference is small. So yeah. It's not like it's going to cost you a lot more per month. You might not even notice the difference.

• Rep+
Reactions: Spade616

·
Senior OCN Member
41,698 Posts
Antec Earthwatts Platinum is cheap because voltage regulation is not very good

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Antec Earthwatts Platinum is cheap because voltage regulation is not very good
How bad is it?

How is the ripple?

·
Senior OCN Member
41,698 Posts
Quote:

How bad is it?

How is the ripple?
2.92% on the 12v
2.40% on the 5v
4,31% on the 3,3v

Ripple 100% load is 45,2mv on the 12v
35,8mv on the 5v
32,2mv on the 3,3v
20,1mv on the 5VSB

Its not a bad unit its just very average

·
Senior OCN Member
41,698 Posts
Quote:

Oh, I found a cheaper option, good reviews too, the FSP Aurum 550w gold. whatdya think?
Thats not a bad option at all but its a Aurum CM not a Aurum just so you know

Aurum Xilenser is 100% fanless if you want something thats very quiet

• Rep+
Reactions: Spade616

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
For what it's worth, Antec Earthwatts Platinum is pretty much FSP Aurum 92+, which is pretty much Aurum / Aurum CM with parts for a little higher efficiency. All these are relatively cheap for 80 plus gold / platinum because of forgoing a design with more components that would give better performance. They aren't bad, but a lot of people might take electrically more stable and cheaper 80 plus bronze units over these options. There are other brands like Thermaltake using this platform from FSP too. It's a good way to offer high efficiency without paying for actual high quality.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
this is the site ill be buying the psu from: http://www.tipidpc.com/useritems.php?username=dynaquestpc (psus are at the end of the page) they offer tons of psus, 4500 is probably my max budget. if you can make a recommendation off of that, it'd be awesome. thanks! repped (im not too knowledgeable on psus and their oems) reviews can only go so far

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:

this is the site ill be buying the psu from: http://www.tipidpc.com/useritems.php?username=dynaquestpc (psus are at the end of the page) they offer tons of psus, 4500 is probably my max budget. if you can make a recommendation off of that, it'd be awesome. thanks! repped (im not too knowledgeable on psus and their oems) reviews can only go so far
Holy crap that's overwhelming. Can it be sorted by price?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Holy crap that's overwhelming. Can it be sorted by price?
yeah its a lot
redface.gif
what i usually do is just ctrl+F something specific like "gold", "modular", "corsair" etc.
smile.gif
unfortunately the site doesnt allow sorting of price
redface.gif
they've got quite a few Seasonics/FSPs that fit right into my budget, I just dont know which exact model is good.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,142 Posts
Quote:

yeah its a lot
redface.gif
what i usually do is just ctrl+F something specific like "gold", "modular", "corsair" etc.
smile.gif
unfortunately the site doesnt allow sorting of price
redface.gif
they've got quite a few Seasonics/FSPs that fit right into my budget, I just dont know which exact model is good.
I know about Ctrl+F lol but I guess I'll just have to use it for prices or maybe for specific units that come to mind.

In the meantime (until I get around to it), see this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/183810/faq-recommended-power-supplies

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.