Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't find a visual covered in any of the FAQs so I decided to ask here.
First, a pic of my CPU:

Now, I apply the thermal grease (SILVGREASE1, to be specific) on the center rectangular part only, right? What is that part called anway? Is that the die, or is the die the who surface?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. One more quick question:
With the little injection tube of thermal grease I got a bunch of other white, plastic packets with some white substance in them. They're unmarked and the container it all came in doesn't say what they are. Any idea what I do with 'em?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
just use the tube with the thermal paste and make as THIN a layer as possible over the complete core surface.
Put a small amount in the middle, and use a plastic sandwich bag over your finger to spread it around. Make sure it's THIN. The thinner the layer over the whole core, the better the cooling.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I think I might have put just a bit too much on. If my temps don't go down anymore in the next 24 hours then I'll just re-apply the paste. It's not like it's a big deal; the tube was only $5.

I can just chuck that silicon-free crap out then? What was it in the package for?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I dont know what that other stuff you are talking about is, but be careful cleaning off the paste if you are starting over. You dont want to get any on the chip itself or by any of the circuitry. I would try to avoid gettin any on the sides of the core also..

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaGradeEh

Ok, I think I might have put just a bit too much on. If my temps don't go down anymore in the next 24 hours then I'll just re-apply the paste. It's not like it's a big deal; the tube was only $5.

I can just chuck that silicon-free crap out then? What was it in the package for?

Give it more time... like a week or so because thermal compounds take time to cure (up to 200 hours), meaning you shouldn't normally see a drop in temps after 24 hours.
If/when you decide to re-apply the paste just follow this guide to get it done.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot dude! /rep
I was told 24-48 hours, and it's been something like 30 now. Thanks for giving me the heads-up.

The good news is that the temps are the same as they were before at the moment. This computer was assembled in August '03, so that's a pretty crappy old thermal pad I scraped off.

Hopefully I won't be going much over 50 celcius at load in a week's time

(temps get almost as high as 60 celcius under load sometimes).
Atleast it's healthy though. It's no where near the danger point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts