Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the cards I have bought so far have been nvidia, but I'm thinking of going hd 6950 next time around and have a question about crossfire. When you crossfire 2 different cards, say a 6950 1gb and a 6970 2gb, how does that work? Does the 2gb model downgrade itself to match the 1gb of the other card? Do the shaders downgrade to the amount of the lesser card? or are you basically taking full advantage of both cards?

I don't run anything higher than 1920 x 1200 (which is the max resolution my monitor can handle anyway) so I'm leaning heavily to 1gb, but just incase that changes in the future, I was wondering how it would work tossing in a second card thats actually 2gb. I assume by the time I'd ever want to crossfire, the cards will have fallen so much in price that I'd just pick up a 6970 instead of another 6950.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I think the 6970 will only use 1GB of memory but I don't think it will use less shaders since crossfire allows use of different cards.

But I would still go for another 6950. Or you could get a 6950 2GB. Flash it to 6970, and then do the same with the other card. Seems more reasonable.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
The 6970 will use the 6950 clock speeds and only 1 GB of memory. While you can crossfire 2 different cards, the preferred method is to crossfire the same cards.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm, I didn't realize this. I don't really know much about crossfire except I had once heard you can xfire different cards as long as they're in the same hundred series which I thought was a huge bonus compared to sli ... but if it just downgrades the stronger one even down to the clock speeds, would there even be a point to crossfiring anything in there other than just another 6950 (since one would assume the 6950 would be cheaper)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.