Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake3 View Post

Pls, try to answer ASAP. Can anything go wrong if I do that?
As long as you don't turn on the PC, yes.

Otherwise the PC might fail to boot and shutdown upon POST.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Won't it completely ignore the VGA if it's not connected to power?

2. I have 2 VGAs right now and that's what I'm experimenting with. I plan on disconnecting the power of the one that's not connected to the monitor. Is there going to be any risk of anything frying or something more severe than just the PC not booting?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwishaMane View Post

And it will SQUEEEEEL probably from lack of power. Not good.
Are you serious right now? Can't tell if you're being sarcastic...

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwishaMane View Post

Dead serious. Last time i powered up a GPU without power cables, the coils went haywire squealing.
This is true! DON'T do it or you think you kill your cards... It's a horrible sound! I accidentially forgot to plug them both in and wow that sound...

IIRC you can leave 1 of 2 out with no problems. The PC will boot but will give you a message of something like: it can work with 1 power plugged in, but NOT for 3D stuff (like gaming etc)

But why would you do that in the first place??? Just DON'T unplug them and power up, SERIOUSLY bad sound of coil whining...

·
Senior OCN Member
40,420 Posts
I can confirm that some cards will make a horrible whine/squealing noise if the power cables are not pluged in.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake3 View Post

1. Won't it completely ignore the VGA if it's not connected to power?

2. I have 2 VGAs right now and that's what I'm experimenting with. I plan on disconnecting the power of the one that's not connected to the monitor. Is there going to be any risk of anything frying or something more severe than just the PC not booting?
1) Even without the power cables, the GPU will still get up to 75 watts of power provided through the PCI-E slot.
2) Having 2 GPU's will enable power saving on the second GPU by default when your not playing a game.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts