Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been playing around with my computer....and overclocked my 2.4A to 3.6ghz......36 idle, 55 load (night), 60 load (afternoon).ambient is about 18-ish. i'm using stock cooling as well....vcore is 1.525V...

oh and timings are 2-2-2-5..so i THINK i have headroom but i dont get anymore voltage than 2.85V on my VDIMM....and i have UTT ram..

2 questions....
1, will i get much more of a overclock if i get a better cooler/air flow (leaving case open right now)
2. how can i get my 199.9 FSB to be 200? (im a perfectionist)

·
Registered
191 Posts
You will be able to overclock higher because you can get a lower temps as long as your parts support it. My brother (Progenicus) is just leaving his case open and using a normal house fan and it works just fine for a lot less. I don't think you can make your FSB a constant 200Mhz because it just fluctuates a little.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
3.6 from the 2.4 is good and usually pretty stable--I have booted at 3.89 with my Northwood but then it crashes--now this was on air so if you have a more extreme cooling option go for it.

The mobo can be a weak point--I found that cooling my Northbridge and RAM directly with ducted air helped with stability somewhat.

Good luck--but that's still an impressive OC

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is there anyway to guesstimate how far my limit is going to be without getting new cooler?

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you get a new cooler your biggest bottleneck will probably not be CPU temperature and will more likely be mobo/RAM. There are ways to find the max of those and you'll know how far you can go. It's something to do with lowering multiplier and running RAM 1:1 to find its max. For mobo you can run RAM on a divider and CPU at low multiplier to find its max. The lowest max is your limit but you can run the RAM on a divider.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangPanda

I would get better cooling if your going to run that 24/7. Max recommended temp for northwoods is 55 and if your folding on that thing 24/7 better cooling would be a good idea.

Not everyone folds 24/7. And if you're on a budget you can find cheap cooling solutions such as a quiet house fan.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by That_Guy

If you get a new cooler your biggest bottleneck will probably not be CPU temperature and will more likely be mobo/RAM. There are ways to find the max of those and you'll know how far you can go. It's something to do with lowering multiplier and running RAM 1:1 to find its max. For mobo you can run RAM on a divider and CPU at low multiplier to find its max. The lowest max is your limit but you can run the RAM on a divider.

i am running at a 1:1 ratio right now...i KNOW my RAM limit.....its about 230ish on 3.3V....

for motherboard, you cannot change multipliers on the 2.4A

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangPanda

I would get better cooling if your going to run that 24/7. Max recommended temp for northwoods is 55 and if your folding on that thing 24/7 better cooling would be a good idea.

what do you mean northwood? 2.4As are prescotts, good up to 65*C

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bump and a quick update...
i CAN goto 3.8ghz but only on 1.55 volts and it isnt even superpi stable....backed down to 3.6.......

do u guys think i can hit 4ghz with something like a big typhoon?

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
It is theorectically possible (as I have seen legitimate posts of CPUzID ay over 4) but I think some kind of ubercuooler was in place. I tried ev eryway I could to OC my Northy past 3.8 but it just wouldn't boot stable. Perhaps some faster RAM would help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts