Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first of all I'd like to ask about the FSB.
I know with A64 processors/mobos that the FSB (or HTT with that technology) multiplier is X 4. So my brother's Asus A8N-e, with a FSB of 1000 MHz, can only be clocked up to 250 MHz HTT before I lower the multiplier to 3, right?

So with my Barton 2500+ what would be the FSB multiplier, and what is it's name in my BIOS? If it helps anyone help me, I have an MSI KT6 Delta mobo.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, first though I should let you know though that, although my CPU is supposed to be a 2500+ Barton, whenever I set the BIOS to default it sets my FSB at 100 MHz X 12 ( = 1.2 GHz). I don't know why it does that, but.. anyway, yea, I'll post the screenshots in a second.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Your Barton is probably locked and changing the multiplyer is upsetting the BIOS!
You would then have the FSB to change... along with the needed vcore!
THe issue is your stock FHS which won't handle the extra heat from upping the vcore!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, my nothing is locked
If it was locked I wouldn't have been able to go from 100 MHz X 12 to 166 MHz X 11, now would I?

Anyway, here are the CPU-Z screenies:

Oh, and it's PC2700 RAM, just so you know.
My motherboard allows me to set my RAM speed at 100, 133, 166, or 200 MHz FYI.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Ahhhh... unlocked , SWEET!
At default = 100MHz FSB.... check for a 100/133/166/200MHz jumper. If your MB has it and it's on 100 there is the probable answer.

To get the higher OC speeds you will need a better FHS and the RAM may hold you back too.
Keep the temps below 55c under full load.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, I'm not sure what the settings would be, but I did see some jumpers so I'll see if that can help. Thanks

BRB in a bit.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
BTW... if you set the RAM vdimm to about 2.7 it should be ok and then drop the CAS to 3 and you may get DDDR400 out of it ... allowing for more FSB!

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Try 11 multi By 200
That will get you to 2.2 ghz

Then go to 11 X 205 and so on. You may need to increase your V-Core a tad.

Keep an eye on your temps.

EDIT: Sorry Duke, I didnt realize you were on the Job.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
It's all quality input

More is good!

• Rep+
Reactions: CanadaGradeEh

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm, I don't have any ideas what jumpers on my motherboard might set the default FSB, but whatever. It's not important.

Ok, so I just went in quickly and lowered my Vcore to 1.5v and didn't change anything else so my temps would lower a tad (which they did). Anyway, everything you see in the CPU-Z screenies are the same except, like I said, the vcore is at 1.5. I'm gonna run prime95 to see if that's stable or if I need to have it higher. Nothings wrong so far though. Afterwards, if Prime lasts for about 10 to 20 minutes, I'll set my vdimm and then start upping my FSB. Thanks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, here are my stats right now:

I'm happy at 2 GHz right now since everything seems stable. I've been running Prime95 for atleast 10 minutes now, therefore - so far, so good.

I didn't want to push my RAM too hard yet considering what I said happened to it before (if you saw my post in the other Athlon 2500+ thread, you'll know about the severe instability). I set it at 2.7 DDR voltage and set the CAS latency to 2 as you can see, but I didn't want to try and push the RAM to 400 MHz, so that's why I went 166 MHz FSB X 12 instead of 200 X 10.

The problem is my temps. Before my load temps would top at about 55 with Prime95 going. Now they're at 61 with it going. I've hit 60 before, so it's not very big deal, but it's always healthier to have my temps lower.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
I suggested CAS3 so that it can run at higher speeds. That way you can possibly get the system to run above 166MHz.
BTW... CAS2 at those speeds is very good for that memory
It may even hit DDR400 @ CAS2.5 with that additional vdimm!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm, I was under the impression that a lower CAS latency would make my RAM faster. That's why I did this for now, not because I wanted to up the FSB yet. At higher CAS latencies the RAM is a bit slower but more stable, right? That's why I might be able to hit 200 MHz?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Yes, your on track

You should be able to run that RAM @ CAS3 to hit DDR400... try that and test it with memtest86. If it's stable I would seriously consider a better FHS so that you can get the sweet unlocked Barton to run on a 200MHz fsb which will probably require more vcore than the stock FHS can handle cooling

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, my birthday is on the 21st (I expect many e-bestwishings, fools!), so I'll probably be able to get a nice HSF. I'm gonna see if I can milk it and get a new Antec SLK3000b case as well. With that I'll have no problem trying to go for as much as 2.4 GHz (I saw another guy with my CPU with those speeds somewhere).

I don't exactly know how to use MemTest though. Is it farely straight-forward? I'm guessing it would be, but incase I'm confused I'll holla' at ya'! I'm sure the readme will do me just fine though.

*Goes and downloads MemTest*

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've gotta go do some chore right now, but could you recommend a good heatsink or heatsink+fan that would be good with this case?

Antec SLK3000-B

BRB in 45 minutes. I'll leave my Prime95 on til I get back, but it's still goin' strong! been almost an hour now, so things are looking good.

Anyway, when I get back I'll try the CAS3 and 200 MHz.

·
Registered
604 Posts
As I said in the chat, look for some better RAM... PC3200 or higher with a CAS of 3 or higher... You should be able to get a higher FSB that way. The PC2700 is what's holding you back.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd like to thank The Duke for helping me from the start in this thread, and Ty for helping me understand my RAM and latencies better. Spook and Shawn helped too.

Thanks a lot again. I likely won't be posting here until I get my new RAM, case, and HSF. I hope to being going as high as 2.4 then though
heh

**EDIT**

Decided to max out my multi for now atleast. Looks like this is what I'm at for the next 3 weeks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts