• Full Post Reply

Votes: 87 93.5%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
64,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

After receiving some feedback from users we wanted to set up a poll as to what editor interface you would prefer when submitting a reply to a thread.

Currently we have the ''Quick Reply'' at the bottom of all threads as below:

What has been suggested is that we move to the ''Full Post Reply'' which would look like the below (Obviously more functionality):

Please vote in the Poll to help us decide !

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
I use both, as things stand now. For quick, simply formatted posts like the one I'm making now, the quick reply works just fine, but I definitely use the full editor from time to time. If the full editor was at the bottom of the page instead of having to load a new page and the quick reply functionality was removed entirely (which is what I think you're deciding on), I would have no issues with that whatsoever.

·
Like a fox!
2,567 Posts
Linking images via quick reply only works 50% of the time, I always have to use full editor anyway to get my posts to actually work so may as well have it as the primary reply type from the get-go.

I voted for full editor.

·
Spiritual Migration
1,557 Posts
Full Reply. Otherwise you miss out on functions that used to exist in the editor like Spoilers, text size, and the old emotes :)

·
Still here...
3,336 Posts
I find both versions useful. One is good for one- or two-liners; while the other is more suitable to drawn out blather, multi-quotes, etc.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
My vote? - Full editor.... the quick reply is to cut of and in the end you have to use the full editor anyway.... Make the Full editor as default, or give us an option in the settings so everyone can set it up as he wants......:rolleyes:

MM :axesmiley

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
How about true RTE? I loved being able to dynamically resize photos on the fly and a host of other things. But yes, full editor is a step in the right direction.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
If this was a talent show, the Full Post Editor would get the golden buzzer, with the poll currently at 1-18, in favour of the Full Editor. I don't even see what kind of downside putting the Full Editor in place of the Quick Reply editor would have, in fact I can't see any, only upsides. The simple editor is severely lacking features, so what possible downside could making a proper editor available from the get go have? Even the Full Editor is missing stuff like a strikethrough button, but at least it's got the spoiler button and the lists buttons and the smilies readily available, amongst other useful features, this isn't even a contest really, we need the Full Editor and then some.

Btw, don't forget about the other related suggestions I made in the other thread:

Also, since the drag and drop system is so clunky and leaves so much 'residue' behind, once the advanced editor is always enabled, you might as well disable the drag and drop functionality. And the post icons. And to make it even better, make the "Insert Image" button show the exact same window as the "Attachments" button as the functions it contains are a superset of the very limited, URL only ,"Insert Image" button.

We'd have a streamlined and much cleaner, less cluttered looking system by then.

·
Still here...
3,336 Posts
If this was a talent show, the Full Post Editor would get the golden buzzer, with the poll currently at 1-18, in favour of the Full Editor. I don't even see what kind of downside putting the Full Editor in place of the Quick Reply editor would have, in fact I can't see any, only upsides. The simple editor is severely lacking features, so what possible downside could making a proper editor available from the get go have? Even the Full Editor is missing stuff like a strike through button, but at least it's got the spoiler button and the lists buttons and the smilies readily available, amongst other useful features, this isn't even a contest really, we need the Full Editor and then some.

Btw, don't forget about the other related suggestions I made in the other thread:
While I realize a button would be much easier to use, at least some of the bbcodes for vBulletin do still work on OCN.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
While I realize a button would be much easier to use, at least some of the bbcodes for vBulletin do still work on OCN.

Ah, that's interesting, congrats on getting the Graphics Artist position!

Ahem... how does making a strikethrough button to attach to that code sound like? ;)

·
Ever Forward.
6,523 Posts
How about true RTE? I loved being able to dynamically resize photos on the fly and a host of other things. But yes, full editor is a step in the right direction.
Second this.

Image resize and more complete text formatting.

·
Still here...
3,336 Posts
Ah, that's interesting, congrats on getting the Graphics Artist position!

Ahem... how does making a strikethrough button to attach to that code sound like? ;)
Thanks, and lol, there's probably a set of unused, deactivated vB buttons sitting around in one the assets folders already. ;)

Edited/added: I just checked the default (v4.x) vBulletin package and confirmed there isn't an image for a strikethrough button in it, nor in the sprite used with the default editor. A button is assignable though, and sample button images could be grabbed from the vBulletin.org forum by someone with access to a valid license (hint:VS).

I did find this in the ckeditor package that shipped with v4.x:

Attachments

·
The IT guy...
395 Posts
Not to be complaining but I don't see any of those editors! For me it is a very limited "Quick Reply" box without any options.
There is only a "Drag and Drop File Upload" box below the Quick Reply box and that is it...
Why?

I'm using Chrome.

·
Still here...
3,336 Posts
Not to be complaining but I don't see any of those editors! For me it is a very limited "Quick Reply" box without any options.
There is only a "Drag and Drop File Upload" box below the Quick Reply box and that is it...
Why?

I'm using Chrome.
I'm using Chrome as well.

If you haven't done so yet, you need to set your preferences for the editor window. Once you choose something other than the Basic Editor and save the change, you should see a "Go Advanced" button to the right of the "Post Quick Reply Button." Click the Go Advanced button and let us know if that solves the issue.

The following attached images illustrate the process:

Attachments

·
Newsfiend
2,423 Posts
If going to the full editor means having to load a new page to get the full editor for every post I'm against it. We had full a full editor at the bottom of the thread before but the devs had to ditch it due to plugin conflicts so I'm not sure that is even an option.

As a preference ranking
1) full editor(or at least a more advanced one) in the same place as quick reply is now if it is now possible
2) current setup
3) full editor only

·
Super Moderator
14,113 Posts
Is it not possible to give the quick reply editor the same features as the full reply editor?

That way both parties can be happy.

·
The IT guy...
395 Posts
I'm using Chrome as well.

If you haven't done so yet, you need to set your preferences for the editor window. Once you choose something other than the Basic Editor and save the change, you should see a "Go Advanced" button to the right of the "Post Quick Reply Button." Click the Go Advanced button and let us know if that solves the issue.

The following attached images illustrate the process:
Thanks! That worked. Been struggling with this thing for a while...

·
Still here...
3,336 Posts
Is it not possible to give the quick reply editor the same features as the full reply editor?

That way both parties can be happy.
Not sure the folks who could really answer your question are watching this thread.

I can tell you what I do know about vB 4.x though out of the box: the quick reply and full reply editors are two different beasts. Still, I imagine the code associated with either one could be "hacked" to do whatever as long as a skilled/knowledgeable/vB savy dev does the hacking. After all, it is a php/mysql based platform. That said, only those familiar with OCN's current installation--which I understand is a modified version based on v3.x--could really tell you whether something is doable (possible), which probably would differ from doable given this forum's current resource constraints.

Given the situation, the results of the poll, and the usability of the available editors cross platform, me, I'd likely recommend doing away with the Quick Reply editor and just going with the Full WYSIWYG myself.

Note, I said likely. A solid recommendation would also take into consideration a number of other factors (e.g., use cases, user interaction, actual requirements/resource limitations, etc.). Fortunately though, that's not my yob :D

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,530 Posts
Like others, I say why can't we have the full editor at the bottom of the page where Quick Reply is now?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts