Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the OCZ XTC memory cooler kit from Newegg along with some Patriot Viper DDR2 800 2x2GB kit that I planned to replace my main rig memory(OCZ Titanium DDR2 800)

After I received the package from Newegg yesterday, I was not able to use the new Patriot Viper memory kit + OCZ XTC memory because of the fins on the Viper.

However, the XTC memory cooler does work with the OCZ Titanium memory that I have, and it does a decent job cooling the memory.

Now here's the pros and cons

pros:
1.cools the memory good(don't know how to monitor the temp for memory by software, but when I touched the memory, it was noticeably cooler than before.

2.great build quality....very solid, and it looks better than the Dominator coolers IMO

3.blue LED fans, great for people who like it...it's really not something I care about...

cons:
1.weak mounting kits, it will not be 100% solid after mounted due to the design of the mounting clips.

2.gets in the way of CPU cooler. It depends on which cooler you have tho, I have the AC Freezer 7 Pro and it will block the bottom 35-40% of the fan, which made my CPU temp from 34ish to 40ish. If you have some taller cooler, you should have no problem.

3.can not be used with memory with high fins. if you have any memory kits using similar height fins like the Patriot Viper series, it will not fit for sure. but anything standard should have no problem.

4.it touches my video card....I have a MSI 8800GT, the cooler will touch the video card after I put it in..no biggie tho

Conclusion:
Great memory cooler, not expensive, it's even better if you have some taller CPU cooler where the fan is mounted at a higher position. If you have something similar to the size/fan placement of Freezer 7 Pro, then you have to decided if you want to keep the CPU few degrees cooler or you want the memory to be cooler. Not a bad thing overall, but it depends on your preference/setup. I may try the Dominator cooler too if I have a chance later on.

Everything above is based on Asus P5Q Pro, AC Freezer 7 Pro and Gigabyte Aurora 570 case, so it may varies a little depends on the mobo/case/cooler you have.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here's 2 pics
the first one is the mounting clips, you guys can see the design of it and the clip part.

the second pic is how much it get into the way of my Freezer 7 Pro

how this will help anyone who planning on purchasing the XTC cooler.

LL
LL

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Im glad Im not the only one whose XTC cooler touches thier video card. What I did was apply some 2mm think double sided tape to the cooler, over the top of the screw for the mounting bracket, it covers the part that makes contact with the card, no problems yet.

Cheers,
Flux

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Just bought this cooler from a OCN member here no more than 2 hours ago.

Hadn't thought about it so close to the video card

Might have to make a slight mod to have it fit now that I'm looking at my board, memory and GPU..

Oh well.. new toy = new toy

Good read and thanks!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ictinike View Post
Just bought this cooler from a OCN member here no more than 2 hours ago.

Hadn't thought about it so close to the video card

Might have to make a slight mod to have it fit now that I'm looking at my board, memory and GPU..

Oh well.. new toy = new toy

Good read and thanks!
It should have no problem if you move the video card to the 2nd PCI-E X16 2.0 slot since you are using a single card solution(based on what listed in ur sig rig)..
I'm planing on doing that later since my 2nd slot is empty but too lazy now....

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nardox View Post
It should have no problem if you move the video card to the 2nd PCI-E X16 2.0 slot since you are using a single card solution(based on what listed in ur sig rig)..
I'm planing on doing that later since my 2nd slot is empty but too lazy now....

Very true.. Tho with my water pump already so close I might not have that option.. Will give it go though once she arrives!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just moved my video card down to the 2nd PCI-Express slot, and now the cooler does not touch the video card anymore
but it still get's into the way of my Freezer 7 Pro and cause the temp to increase about 5-6C, I may have to take the cooler out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts