Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, is MDPC the best stuff available?
Next how much of it do I need? is 10 meters of each enough?

I plan to do a alternating color scheme of either white and aquamarine blue. Possibly do black instead of white I don't know.

What sleeving tool should i buy?

From looking at pictures of the mdpc stuff in peoples cases and on the websites it looks a lot nicer in quality then the other stuff I see on other sites, is this the case?

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,476 Posts
IMO MDPC is the best, but as well it is the most expensive.

How much? Depends really, how modular is your PSU?

Tools you should get would be the pin remover for sure, and if you want to sleeve molex cables then get the molex remover.

You can find the same pin removers on other sites but I like the quality of the ones that Nils supplies.

It looks better on the site because he knows how to take pictures correctly (using light to his advantage, etc.) and he probably has an amazing camera as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,234 Posts
Yes MDPC is the best.
You can get a tool to remove the pins (sunbeam make a kit).
Im doing 2 colours in mine (red and black) and i ordered 30 meters of each, as its better to be safe than sorry when it comes to cutting the sleeving.

Are you planning on doing each individual cable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I won't be doing per wire sleeving, to me it looks somewhat ugly.

Not to mention this will be my first time sleeving, and that would be incredibly tedious.

So how much cabling will need for my whole PSU?
Need to do like 15 cables.

edit it looks like the mdpc sleeve is way to small for doing an entire cable is only meant for per wire sleeving.
is this correct?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAM3S121 View Post
First, is MDPC the best stuff available?
Next how much of it do I need? is 10 meters of each enough?

I plan to do a alternating color scheme of either white and aquamarine blue. Possibly do black instead of white I don't know.

What sleeving tool should i buy?

From looking at pictures of the mdpc stuff in peoples cases and on the websites it looks a lot nicer in quality then the other stuff I see on other sites, is this the case?

thanks
It's not really so blunt as to say it's the "best" stuff available. IMO, Techflex Clean Cut and MDPC are par in terms of quality. However, Techflex Clean Cut only comes in black and grey while MDPC has colors.

For your needs, MDPC would pretty much be the only choice for that color scheme with good quality sleeving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAM3S121 View Post
I won't be doing per wire sleeving, to me it looks somewhat ugly.

Not to mention this will be my first time sleeving, and that would be incredibly tedious.

So how much cabling will need for my whole PSU?
Need to do like 15 cables.

edit it looks like the mdpc sleeve is way to small for doing an entire cable is only meant for per wire sleeving.
is this correct?
MDPC is pretty much made for single sleeving your PSU. If you're wanting larger sleeving for doing all the wires in a bunch, you may either need to look elsewhere or contact MDPC and see if he has it in wider dimensions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the response thats a shame because I really liked the aquamarine color, but as my first sleeving job I think it would be almost too much considering all the other things I have planned for my case.

what size sleeve would i need to be able to sleeve the cables? 1/2 good enough to handle doing all the various types?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
MDPC has sleeves for single wire (1/8") and SATA data cables (around 3/8").

I don't like unisleeving either unless the amount of wires is small, thus I put two wires per sleeve for the 8pin and 6pin connectors (using MDPC). For the 24pin connector I used clean cut 1/4" and put 4 wires per sleeve. Two wires per sleeve looks good IMO, still thin, requires almost half the work and is less bulky than unisleeve
.

Do you want ALL your PSU's cables to have just 1 sleeve? You'd need various sizes obviously. Also it will look pretty standard -a lot of PSUs come like that- and the cables would be stiff.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAM3S121 View Post
thanks for the response thats a shame because I really liked the aquamarine color, but as my first sleeving job I think it would be almost too much considering all the other things I have planned for my case.

what size sleeve would i need to be able to sleeve the cables? 1/2 good enough to handle doing all the various types?
I'd go with 1/4th to be honest of the Techflex Clean Cut. It has the same good quality dense weave so the wires won't show through like MDPC. Also, it's cheaper than MDPC as well. Just contact Barry (FurryLetters from eBay) here and he'll get you ordered.

http://www.overclock.net/other-hardw...-sleeving.html

Like the guy above me said though, at most, you'll be putting 5 wires (SATA plugs) inside the sleeving and 1/4th should give you a good snug fit. If you want a looser fit 3/8th will work. For the 24 pin and 8pin motherboard power and PCI-Express slots, you may need something bigger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would 3/8th work on the 24 pin and pci-e pins?
Like would all wires needed fit or do 2-3 sleeves per?

I could do it like you said above and i think i may go that route because techflex really doesnt look as good.

edit::
i think im going to go with the second option, for the 24pin and pci-e connectors i'll just wire 3-4 wires per sleeve so its not over the top.
how many wires can you fit into a 1/4 and 3/8?

I have no idea how many meters of sleeve i need either, i probably have about 13 cables that need to be done.

I bought this antec truepower at my microcenter 2 days ago, but I'd rather not open it up so I'm going to return it for one that won't require opening. Any recommendations for a 650w psu that won't require opening?

+rep to everyone whos helped, i know ive asked a bunch of questions just trying to get all the info
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAM3S121 View Post
Would 3/8th work on the 24 pin and pci-e pins?
Like would all wires needed fit or do 2-3 sleeves per?

I could do it like you said above and i think i may go that route because techflex really doesnt look as good.

edit::
i think im going to go with the second option, for the 24pin and pci-e connectors i'll just wire 3-4 wires per sleeve so its not over the top.
how many wires can you fit into a 1/4 and 3/8?

I have no idea how many meters of sleeve i need either, i probably have about 13 cables that need to be done.

I bought this antec truepower at my microcenter 2 days ago, but I'd rather not open it up so I'm going to return it for one that won't require opening. Any recommendations for a 650w psu that won't require opening?

+rep to everyone whos helped, i know ive asked a bunch of questions just trying to get all the info
Hmmm 3 wires per sleeve I wouldn't recommend, since you'd either have to put the 3 wires in an "L" configuration or 3 in line which would expand the sleeve too much and make it more see-through. Go with 4 per sleeve in a 1/4" sleeve.

Sleeves are in fact smaller than their nominal value, see here:

http://www.techflex.com/prod_CCP.asp

Using that table I calculated that 3/8" has around 44% more cross section area than 1/4" therefore you could probably fit 6 cables in it before expanding it too much. However your best bet would be to grab a pack of cables, tie a masking tape around them, then cut and measure it to determine the circumference and then calculate the diameter from there. Then use the table to determine what sleeve will you need.

How many meters of sleeve do you need is up to you to calculate, first determine how you will do the sleeving, measure the cables and then divide to see how many meters will you need PER CONNECTOR. Obviously your 24pin cable is of a different length than the ones for peripherals so you have to calculate each...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, 4 wires makes more sense so I will do that.

thanks again for all the help.

about the power supply though are there any that do not require opening them at all? and how would i remove the sleeving already on it from the stock modular psu?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisizbrian View Post
dang i really wanna get into this hobby but id hate to destroy my psu :/
Just do it carefully, use small masking tape stripes to label each wire before you even remove the pins (just pull the sleeve down if you have one). Once finished, DOUBLE CHECK the sequence. Then as a precaution unpin, sleeve and pin again a couple of wires at a time (or more if you want more wires per sleeve). Depending on how tight your heatshrink is, you could do a final check with colors against the standard ATX pinout (google it).

If you wanna be über-sure, which I didn't do, I guess you could power-up the PSU and use a multimeter to check voltages on each wire against ground
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAM3S121 View Post
Yeah, 4 wires makes more sense so I will do that.

thanks again for all the help.

about the power supply though are there any that do not require opening them at all? and how would i remove the sleeving already on it from the stock modular psu?
I didn't open my PSU which is NON MODULAR, the old heatshrink started a little bit inside the PSU but was accesible from outside. I cut it carefully and then cut the zip-tie that was inside it. Do the same on the connector end. Then, as the default sleeving was very see through and horrible, I just cut it away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probably just buy a silverstone strider plus 600-750w not sure yet.

I could use my antec true power, but I want the sleeving to look good and that would require opening up my antec psu. Not something I'm interested in.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAM3S121 View Post
Probably just buy a silverstone strider plus 600-750w not sure yet.

I could use my antec true power, but I want the sleeving to look good and that would require opening up my antec psu. Not something I'm interested in.
The Corsair AX series does not need to be opened as it is 100% modular. However, all of the wires are flat black in color, so when you sleeve one, put it back immediately into the connector. Otherwise you'll get all screwed up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked at a few corsair models, but that to me is a turn off because as I've mentioned this will be my first time trying this I want to make it as easy as possible while still having a nice result.
I mean I could use one of the corsair ones and buy all new cables but that might cost more.

Looking @ silverstone strider plus 750w

750 watts is really on the high end for my system because it isn't a sli build but its not really out of my price range.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,952 Posts
The Corsair AX series is easy to sleeve from my understanding, as the pins come out relatively easy. The Corsair HX series on the other hand is a real *****. I should know, I've done one.

The AX is 100% modular, so you won't have to crack open the PSU to sleeve all the cables, which is nice.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top