Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Virus scanners will run MUCH faster on SSDs. In fact, they sometimes can be CPU bottlenecked.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by octopus13
View Post

I dont think so unless you have an old chip.

Well, your right, but Duckie did say sometimes. Which depends on what cpu you have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lombax
View Post

Since SSD's have insane read speeds, does that means virus scans on them would be really fast? Or would the other components bottleneck it?

Virus scans would definitely run quicker. I may invest in some ss drives in the near term.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Running a ClamWin scan on my single-core K8 2.4GHz server puts it at 100% load. This is on a hard drive that does 70-90MB/s. I wouldn't be surprised if the CPU bottlenecked with a SSD.

It depends on the AV software, drive, and CPU.

• Rep+
Reactions: Lombax

·
Premium Member
4,423 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Most of the time Duckie knows what he is talking about (look at his REP LOL). In this case, I agree with him 100%. There will be cases where the SSD's access and read files faster then some CPU's can process. I have 4 SSD's, and a nice CPU, and a full virus scan using Avast uses about 25% of my CPU power. Now this is with 4 cores and 4 virtual, I can only imagine what would happen if I was still using my old e6600

·
Iconoclast
32,314 Posts
Since I can hit 9-10% CPU load (~75% of a logical core) while virus scanning on my HT enabled 3.8GHz i7 and 7200.12 RAID 0 setup, I have no doubts that many systems could be CPU limited with a decent SSD. Even fairly recent and powerful setups could see 100% use of a core.

• Rep+
Reactions: Lombax
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.