2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, The stepping on this 3000VENICE I may get is

stepping 2, revision DH-E6

Is that a true E6 stepping? I want to hit atleast 2.7 ghz

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
If the part number ends in "BP" it's an E4, the "BW" is the E6.

• Rep+
Reactions: r3tard

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke
If the part number ends in "BP" it's an E4, the "BW" is the E6.
Oh. Is that the top line or bottom?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
  • Rep+

·
Registered
105 Posts
E6 is not the only thing you want to consider though. The important part is also the week of manufacture. I don't know off the top of my head what the best Venice weeks were, but if you look those up and get a chip from one of those weeks you'll be able to do a lot more overclocking.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3tard
I want to hit atleast 2.7 ghz

that's gonna be hard with a 3000+, but not impossible. You need good cooling and a good mobo.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf
that's gonna be hard with a 3000+, but not impossible. You need good cooling and a good mobo.
Agree...
A 3200 w/a 10x makes it all so much easier...
Wishing I got a 146 instead of the 144
same situation 9x vs 10x

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The x9 multi is easy to work with, sure it's more of a pain when trying to get your memory happy....the 3000+ would have a hard time getting 2.7 if it had a x12 multi
Hope you get a good stepping, cause 2.6 is usually the edge..

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do 3000's not have a unlocked multi? I was lead to believe they did!

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Ther are refered to as "1/2 locked" being they can be reduced but not increased from the default.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke
Ther are refered to as "1/2 locked" being they can be reduced but not increased from the default.
Duke you da man when it comes to amd

Second 'lil quickie question. How high can I overclock this chip with a divider? My ram doesn't like much past about 210-215 ish.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Set the RAM to 166/333 or 133/266 for a divider.

• Rep+

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whoop, Picked up a 3000 venice with a code ending in BW today. Hope it o/ces like mad, just trying to figure out the PSU for now.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy916

Nice, the 3000+ should do very well. With a good aftermarket cooler 2.7 shouldn't be too hard.

agree, 2700 is pretty easy, its just going beyond that when they start to get very power hungry then you have the heat issues. Interestlingly I put my 3200 in my rig and it needs a lot more voltage to get similar speeds to my 3000 but it doesnt seem to run as warm. Im not sure what is going on but they would have to be very similar cpu's surely. Will have to check and compare them I suppose. Im thinking the 3000 is a better overclocker. I could only get to about 2800 with water (3200+) before temps were getting above 55c loaded and the 3000 would do 2800 with not much of a worry at all. Will do some testing and do a thread on what I find.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts