Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently remounted my nh d15 on my 8700k about a week ago and I used the noctua thermal paste that came in the box and I ran out of thermal paste from the tube applying it and it wasnt enough thermal paste and i didnt have another tube of that stuff and all i had was arctic silver 5 so i added a little bit of that and mounted the cooler

its been running perfectly for a week but it crossed my mind that I mixed thermal paste so I just though i would ask if its okay

thanks

·
Totally Tubular
1,560 Posts
I don't know if it will actually cause a problem, but I would have cleaned the CPU off and used all AS5 in that situation.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so should i remount or is it okay

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,675 Posts
its been running perfectly for a week but it crossed my mind that I mixed thermal paste so I just though i would ask if its okay

thanks
You can mix differing thermal pastes together simply because they are all based on similar compounds. Have done that in the past when I ran out of single pastes but have loads of small amounts left in tubes.

In the end I forced all of them out onto a ceramic plate and then mixed them together with a clean plastic spatula. Just like mixing glues together when sticking something.

Have never noticed any heat sinks being glued to any IHS over the years, they all come off easily after a year or so of doing their work.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so that means im good then just to clairfy

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
Quite! :) It's just as okay as mixing one brand of ketchup with another, or one brand of mustard with another, or one brand of toothpaste with another, etc. Who knows, you may have created a good blend. lol

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you

·
Graphics Junkie
2,811 Posts
It's not a car, you can't put the wrong kind of oil in it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Stop spreading the paste. You're wasting it. Just put a pea size in the midle of the cpu, or write an X and spread it with the pressure. It's faster, far more uniform, and you waste less paste.
A 5.5gr tube should last you anywhere from 15 to 25 aplications. If you're spreading it, you might not even reach 10.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I wouldnt mix thermal pastes, but as long as you dont have temps out of the ordinadary you should be ok. If you run out often of thermal paste, have a GD900 at hand. It's an MX-4, nt h1 equivalent, and dirth cheap also, even compared with mx-4. Non conductive aswell, and it lasts a lot more than the top thermal pastes like TFX or kryonaut (those after 6-12 months start to lose performance....first hand experience).

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i did put a pea sized dot and the temps are fine

·
Registered
49 Posts
The damn X method is harder to get right than you'd think. I tried it for the first time a few days ago and inadvertently squeezed a whole tube of Thermal Grizzly. My two strands making the cross, looked like earthworms. Not easy when using a 1g of paste in a tube that is absolutely tiny! May just stick to the pea method, which I'm accustomed with.

·
Premium Member
27,410 Posts
Keep in mind we don't need TIM over entire surface of IHS. We only need it over area where CPU chip in under IHS. IHS size is much bigger than CPU chip. IHS is not really a heat spreader but a load distribution platform to keep CPU from pushing down farther in center area of socket and thus deforming it with resulting loss of contact of some of the thousands. Yes, ther are litterally thousands of connections between CPU and motherboard in a CPU socket. IHS is slightly bigger than socket using it's edges as a spacer to keep cooler base / waterblock from deforming socket.

Image below shows CPU die under with IHS removed. The black square line is where IHS contacts CPU PCB and is on edges of motherboard CPU socket. I use just enough TIM so when cooler is mounted it's presses TIM into a circle a little bigger than CPU die. On 8700K circle is almost to edges of IHS.

·
Totally Tubular
1,560 Posts
Keep in mind we don't need TIM over entire surface of IHS. We only need it over area where CPU chip in under IHS. IHS size is much bigger than CPU chip. IHS is not really a heat spreader but a load distribution platform to keep CPU from pushing down farther in center area of socket and thus deforming it with resulting loss of contact of some of the thousands. Yes, ther are litterally thousands of connections between CPU and motherboard in a CPU socket. IHS is slightly bigger than socket using it's edges as a spacer to keep cooler base / waterblock from deforming socket.

Image below shows CPU die under with IHS removed. The black square line is where IHS contacts CPU PCB and is on edges of motherboard CPU socket. I use just enough TIM so when cooler is mounted it's presses TIM into a circle a little bigger than CPU die. On 8700K circle is almost to edges of IHS.
View attachment 2480029
So what I'm hearing is that you would volunteer to put your fingertip on the corner of the IHS while the CPU is under full load, because the IHS isn't really a heat spreader but only a load distribution platform ... right? lol

While the part of the IHS directly over the CPU die(s) will be the hottest part, the edges of the IHS will also be hot and should be covered by the TIM to ensure the best transfer to the block/heatsink.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
So what I'm hearing is that you would volunteer to put your fingertip on the corner of the IHS while the CPU is under full load, because the IHS isn't really a heat spreader but only a load distribution platform ... right? lol

While the part of the IHS directly over the CPU die(s) will be the hottest part, the edges of the IHS will also be hot and should be covered by the TIM to ensure the best transfer to the block/heatsink.
This is correct. Why do you think water blocks are bigger than the ihs?

·
Premium Member
27,410 Posts

Quite a smart aleck remark, but as 01dschoo1 said, yes! Not much different than putting finger on top of cooler base.

There have been numerous tests done that usually showing less TIM (just enough to give full coverage print of CPU chip onto cooler base) give same or lower temps than more TIM up to and including having TIM ooze out the sides.

This isn't rocket science, All anyone need to do is look at an IHS when removed from CPU to see how thin the top is .. and thin metals don't spread heat very far when it's being drawn straight though from heat source (CPU chip) into cooler base as well as though TIM in any voids between IHS and cooler base.

·
Premium Member
27,410 Posts
dbl post

·
Registered
889 Posts
If I read your question correctly .... You only need to apply a tiny amount (the size of a pea for NT-H1 specifically. The tube that comes with the cooler is enough for 20+ mountings). Thermal paste is used to fill the microscopic imperfections in the metal, so that it seals better to the heatsink of the cpu and the base of the cooler, elimination microscopic gaps that could potentially hinder heat-flow. It's not meant to be buttered like toast :p

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i barely had any left in the tube so thats why i used the rest as arctic silver 5

1 - 20 of 22 Posts